Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

caza

caza Report 10 Dec 2020 12:34

Can't find divorce records on Scotland's people for Sandra Jean sparkes married David gough in 1963 both remarried both now deceased .where else would I find this information?and why would it not be on SP?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Dec 2020 12:47

The 'register of divorces' starts from 1984.

Read the site's info about what records it holds

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Dec 2020 13:27

You might find the 1963 divorce record at the National Records of Scotland.

"
1830/5-1984

From 1935 to 1984, individual divorce cases are listed in our catalogue and can be found by searching for either party involved in the action.

From 1830/5 to 1934, the printed general minute books of the court (CS17/1) lead to card indexes and bound indexes to the cases. Case papers can be either 'extracted' or 'unextracted' processes. For extracted processes the judge's verdict can be found in the Register of Acts and Decreets (CS45), using the last date for a case in the minute book.

If children are involved in a divorce, the case papers are normally transferred to us only when the youngest has reached the age of 16 - you may have to search through the indexes on this basis. Sometimes the letter 'R' is used alongside entries to show that case papers were 'Retained', while in others the eventual year of transmission is shown in round brackets. Many of the cases involving children are extracted processes."
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/divorce-records

But searching for Sparkes 1962-1965, no divorce record comes up.
Nor for Gough.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Dec 2020 15:10

The first marriage was 1963.

The man re-married in 1973 - the woman in 1980

caza

caza Report 10 Dec 2020 20:29

Thank you for the link

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Dec 2020 11:32

ArgyllGran you used to be able to search there for divorces but they seem to have removed them a couple of years ago. I had used their catalogue to Order copies of OH’s grandfather’s divorce papers from 1920. I wish I knew where they are catalogued now. Two of my aunts (both now deceased) divorced and they were listed in the original catalogue but none show now when searching.