Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Mar 2022 13:10

Does anyone know when we can look at the 1921 census please ,I think is very soon,regards sandra

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Mar 2022 13:33

You can access it NOW on FMP, but you have to pay to view records.

You don't need to have a subscription to the site.

That will be the case for at least three years

Maddie

Maddie Report 28 Mar 2022 13:33

Regional hubs to offer free online access to 1921 Census of ...
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk › About us › News

Regional hubs to offer free online access to 1921 Census of England and Wales
Tuesday 30 November 2021

Today we can announce two regional hubs that will provide free online access to the 1921 Census of England and Wales from 6 January 2022.

The census will be available online via our commercial partner Findmypast and will be free to access in this way at The National Archives, in Kew.

In addition, visitors to the Manchester Central Library and the National Library of Wales will be able to access the 1921 Census of England and Wales via the Findmypast website for free following its publication next year.

Access at the Manchester Central Library, on St Peter’s Square, Manchester, will be supported by the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society helpdesk and the Archives+ Team (www.archivesplus.org).

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Mar 2022 13:36

Thank you Erica ,I will join fmp ,looking forward to see where lost family where then,hope I find the missing links to add to my tree x

Sandra

Sandra Report 28 Mar 2022 13:39

Thank you Erica ,I will join fmp ,looking forward to see where lost family where then,hope I find the missing links to add to my tree x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Mar 2022 13:43

Just to repeat - you don't have to have a sub to FMP to look at the 1921 census.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

Be aware that there are LOTS of mistranscriptions.
Lateral thinking required in many cases!

If you hover over either the "Record Transcript" or "Record Image" button to the right of a basic free result, it will tell you the names of some of the other people at that address, which may help pinpoint the person you want.

If you want to see full details (address, etc), you're best to pay to view the image, rather than the cheaper transcription, as the latter often have mistakes.

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Jun 2024 21:18

Does anyone know how much longer we all have to wait before 1921 censor can be viewed by all on here ,they say its 3 years ,so should not be too long now for everyone ,regards Sandra

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jun 2024 22:00

Depends on how long the contract between the National Archives & FMP is.

The census was released on FMP in January 2022 if the deal was three years exclusivity then it can’t appear elsewhere until 2025 at least.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jun 2024 22:18

If you want help - just ask

Sandra

Sandra Report 30 Jun 2024 21:14

Hi Erica ,my cousin and I have been trying to track what happened to our grandad ,we thought we might find him on the 1921 censor but when we typed his name their was no trace ,we know he died in 1950s in Scotland, but was living in Grimsby from 1904 with his family ,we have all dads siblings but they were all split up sometime after 1915 as grandma was in a workhouse then with the children, she had gone there a week before my dad was born in there,we have all the info and family on our trees ,but just baffled where he may have disappeared too,grandma remarried in 1937 so they must have been divorced ,dad was put in a childrens home and not brought up with his mother ,my cousin has tried various sites and paid for someone to search for his whereabouts from 1915 onwards , to see what maybe he had done with his life without success,we dont mind paying to view 1921 censor but when we type it in it does not come up with his name ,and also I just wondered when the 1921Censor was available to view free to look up other ancestors for that year too,best wishes Sandra

greyghost

greyghost Report 30 Jun 2024 22:51

There were many transcription errors of the 1921 census - as ArgyllGran posted in March.

Divorce was quite rare - maybe they didn't, even though Grandma "remarried". The marriage certificate should show her marital status at time of that remarriage, although of course it might not be true. What was her name

What was your Grandfather's full name and DOB and where was he born.

When and where do you last have known sight of him

Do you have his death certificate for the information it may contain

The 1921 census of Scotland is available via the Scotland's People website - you need to register (free) and can then search (free). Buy credits - 30 for £7.50 last time in ordered - and use 6 credits to access the census. As Grandad died over 50 years ago you will be able to download his death certificate, again 6 credits.
There are also Valuation rolls on SP up to 1940

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The 1939 register for Scotland may also show him if he was already up there
Read about it here -

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/nhs-central-register/about-the-register/1939-national-identity-register-and-how-to-order-an-official-extract

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Jun 2024 23:24

You can't look up the 1939 Register for Scotland online, as you can with the English/Welsh one.

You have to apply to see someone's entry, and you have to provide a copy of their death cert, or at least know their exact date of death.
There's a charge of £15, of which £5 is non-refundable even if they can't find an entry.

If there is an entry, you only receive details of the person for whose record you applied - not any other people in the household.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Jul 2024 11:46

The man’s death cert may prove useful

BUT………why not tell us his name and birth year/place and see if anyone on here can find out anything. You seem to be getting nowhere ;-) ;-) ;-)