Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone translate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 21 Jun 2024 17:51

Can any kind soul help with the translation of this document linked below.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/240049782

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Jun 2024 19:07

The second one Looks like English but it has copied badly.

When I’ve had similar I’ve printed it off and the copied it into A3 from A4.

It tends to be fairly formulaic.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Jun 2024 19:28

Did you find it on Ancestry, perhaps?

If so, please post the link direct from Ancestry, rather than via Keepsafe.
The image you've sent is too fuzzy to decipher.

John

John Report 21 Jun 2024 20:41

Hello
its a will of simon smith of Rugeley supplied by Staffs records office
Its the latin and the hand wrighting i am struggling with
There is a Richard Emery mentioned whos roll i am intrigued by
Any help would be great
Thank you all

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jun 2024 21:51

The image in keepsafe is virtually indecipherable

The writing is very unclear and you’ll probably have to get a Latin scholar to make sense of it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Jun 2024 08:59

It is so bad that I thought both parts were for Elizabeth Smith.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Jun 2024 09:36

The first paragraph is Latin and the main part is in English.

I can see Richard Emory's signature at the bottom - but the rest is far too grainy/fuzzy to read, apart from an odd word here and there.
Even zooming in to 500% doesn't help - in fact, probably makes it worse..

I'm sure it could be read if less fuzzy.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jun 2024 10:28

Is the uploaded image a scan? Or a photograph?

A better quality image might be helpful

If the query is mainly about the name Emory…………. as he signed, he was probably a witness.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Jun 2024 12:47

Richard Emory married Katherine Hollinhurst in Rugely in 1700.

Unfortunately there's no image to view on Ancestry. I had hoped (but didn't expect from a record at that time) that it might give his occupation - solicitor or similar if he had drawn up the Will.
There's an image on FMP, I believe.

However, as far as one can tell from the fuzzy Will document, he was most likely just a witness.

The document says "Sealed and [declared? delivered? ] in the presence of [Noah ?] Pincher NP" - so it would probably be Mr Pincher who drew up the Will.

Richard Emory's probable burial record (1733, Rugeley) is on FMP - but I wouldn't expect that to give his occupation.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Jun 2024 15:37

I also zoomed in to 500% and I got the impression (possibly wrong) that the English was a translation of the Latin.

Also I couldn't see any mention of Simon Smith and, like Names, thought it was the will of Elizabeth Smith, who is mentioned often, although much of it is unreadable.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of Richard Emory except as a witness at the bottom.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Jun 2024 17:41

I was wondering if we are seeing first the probate entry then the will itself. So difficult to see.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Jun 2024 18:17

I can't make out anything useful from the Latin section, except that it's dated 1725, and Elizabeth Smith is mentioned.

The English bit includes the date March1726, and it seems to be appointing "Elizabeth smith, widow . . . . . Administration of all [something] the goods and [something] receipts (?) of Simon Smith, late of Rudgley. . . . . "

As Andysmum says, there's no mention of Richard Emory apart from his signature at the bottom.