Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Frederick SCOTT 1880 mmn STONER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 26 Aug 2024 17:06

Ann STONER birth registered 1Q1857 Midhurst mmn BOXALL.

Appears in 1881 census in Sussex with STONER parents and siblings as daughter Ann SCOTT married 24 with George F SCOTT grandson aged 0 born Leytonstone.

GRO duly shows
SCOTT, GEORGE FREDERICK STONER
GRO Reference: 1880 S Quarter in WEST HAM Volume 04A Page 148

Haven't found the SCOTT-STONER marriage. What happened to George?

1891 has a
George Fred Scott Son Single Male 10 1881 Clerk Forest Gate, Essex, England
as one of 4 children in a William SCOTT and Susan Mary (MATTHEWS) family. They married 1Q1871 and the first three children listed had mmn MATTHEW(S) in the GRO. But not George Fred.

Is it the same George Fred...?

Alan Stoner

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2024 17:14

Is this connected to your ‘one-name study’ for Stoner?

And your other threads about the name?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2024 17:26

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
53, Sewardstone Road, Bethnal Green, London & Middlesex, England

William Scott Head Married Male 34 1847 Commercial clerk railway booking office Wymondham, Norfolk, England
Susan M Scott Wife Married Female 31 1850 - Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England
Susan H E Scott Daughter Single Female 9 1872 Scholar Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England
Ada E Scott Daughter Single Female 8 1873 Scholar Forest Gate, Essex, England
William S H Scott Son Single Male 6 1875 Scholar Forest Gate, Essex, England
George F Scott Son Single Male 4 1877 Scholar Forest Gate, Essex, England
Leonard M Scott Son Single Male 2 1879 - Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England
Stephen J Matthews Brother Single Male 28 1853 Canvasser (clk) Bethnal Green, Middlesex, England
Mary East Lodger Widow Female 60 1821 Ladies nurse (sub med) Dorchester, Dorset, England

If you look at the IMAGE for 1891, you will see that there were a number of adjustments

SCOTT, GEORGE FREDERICK MATTHEW
GRO Reference: 1876 D Quarter in WEST HAM UNION Volume 04A Page 40

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Aug 2024 17:28

HAve you had sight of the 1880 birth certiifcate - might give you some clues, and have you checked the mothers amiden name via the GRO?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2024 17:34

For INFO........much easier to assimilate facts if produced in full

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Mile House, 1, Petworth, Sussex, England
William Stoner Head Married Male 59 1822 Land p? (ag lab) Tillington, Sussex, England
Jane Stoner Wife Married Female 57 1824 - Sussex, England
William Stoner Son Single Male 17 1864 - Sussex, England
Agnes Stoner Daughter Single Female 14 1867 - Sussex, England
Ann Scott Daughter Married Female 24 1857 On visit wife of decorator of piccadilly Sussex, England
George F Scott Grand son Single Male 0 1881 Infant of same Leytonstone, Sussex, England

Calling herself someone's wife doesn't necessarily mean that she was

You can get a digital image of the birth cert for £3.00 on the GRO site, which is where you found the birth reg'n you have posted above.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Alan

Alan Report 26 Aug 2024 22:22

Yes, it's all part of the Stoner website. I know who Ann was but not what happened to her. And yes, I listed the 'Stoner' George Frederick SCOTT in my post.

The two George Fs seem different people with, as you say, the 1881 and 1891 Matthews 'facts' being a few years different.

The 1880 b/c should give the father's details but I don't order many certificates, there being almost 5,000 Stoner births 1837-1999. Did order a m/c last week, first for a while! And I don't normally worry about Stoners who marry out over the horizon but follow those who marry in.

So maybe I'll let it rest. Many thanks for spending time on the puzzle, Erika.

Alan Stoner