Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obituary of Gavin Hamilton died 25.8.1829

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 8 Sep 2024 22:00

This gentleman is my 6x Great Grandfather, Surgeon at Manchester Royal Infirmary and his portrait is in the boardroom there.
On Ancestry, I can see the below entry but can't access the obituary itself.
The 'Thomas Achurch Ward' is the father of Gavin's wife Letitia Margaretta Ward.
All help gratefully received.

Gavin Hamilton
Gender Male
Residence Place Manchester
Death Date 25 Aug 1829
Death Place Portland Place
Obituary Date 9 Sep 1905
Obituary Place Manchester, Greater Manchester, England
Newspaper Title Manchester Evening News
Father
Thomas Achurch Ward
Spouse
Ward

THANK YOU.

Jink20

Jink20 Report 8 Sep 2024 22:16

I can read it on FMP ......Typing begins.....

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 8 Sep 2024 22:17

I'm somewhat confused that his dod is 1829 but the obituary date is 1905!!

Can anyone please access the obituary for me?

THANK YOU.

greyghost

greyghost Report 8 Sep 2024 22:26

Not what you're looking for - buried 29th August 1829 aged 73 at St John's, Manchester - of Green Heys.

Also an entry under UK, Records of the Removal of Graves and Tombstones, 1601-2007. Manchester - Rusholme Road Cemetery - 1954-1957

Grave No 1413 - lists -
WARD
Thomas Achurch aged 86 died 1 Dec 1835
Sarah aged 82 19th May 1838 his wife
Letitia Margaretta aged 81 died 19 Feb 1860 - Daughter and Wife of Gavin Hamilton, Surgeon of this City
HAMILTON
Rachel Milroy aged 46 died 28 Dec 1857 Grand Daughter of above

--------------
Unable to read obit as part of UK and Ireland, Newspapers.com and access requires an additional subscription which I don't have

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 8 Sep 2024 22:33

Thank you GG.

Can anyone please access the obituary for me, please?

:-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Sep 2024 22:39

It isn’t actually an obituary. It’s a section of a long varied article entitled A Piccadilly Garden, penned by a T Swindells.

The section is about the theatrical Ward family, with the Hamilton chap being Incidental

I will type it in full tomorrow when I am using my PC, as opposed to my ipad

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 8 Sep 2024 22:51

Thank you ErikaH.

My fingers work much quicker on my PC, too!

The theatrical Ward family play a big part [pun intended] in our ancestry. There is a larger than life white marble statue of Sarah Siddons in Westminster Abbey.

:-)

Jink20

Jink20 Report 8 Sep 2024 22:57

Mr Gavin Hamilton another member of the Infirmary staff died at Portland Place on August 25th 1829. His wife, Miss Ward, was not only a gifted actress herself, but was the daughter of one of Manchester's earliest actors. Her father, Thomas Achurch Ward, so far back as 1767, took a benefit at the Marsden-street theatre, and in 1782 he and his wife (Miss Hoare) commenced an engagement at Drury Lane Theatre, where they often played along Mrs Siddons and Miss Farren ( afterwards Countess of Derby). When the Spring Farden house was rebuilt, Mr Ward took the joint management along with Mr Banks; and in later years he became the manager of the Fountain-street Theatre. In 1811, he made his last appearance on stage, but Mrs Ward kept possession of the boards until 1816. In 1825, Mr Ward severed his connection with the stage, after a career that had comprised 40 years as an actor, and thirty as a manager, and retired into private life. He died at his residence Chatham-street Piccadilly, on December 1 1835, aged eighty six. His only daughter after a short and successful stage life, married Mr Gavin Hamilton who at the time was a popular surgeon with a rapidly growing pratice.

Jink20

Jink20 Report 8 Sep 2024 23:02

PM'd OP with offer to send entire newspaper page to her by email.

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 8 Sep 2024 23:13

I've replied to Jink20's kind offer to email the entire newspaper page.

This certainly tidies up several family 'whispers'. More happy research and burning of the midnight oil, no doubt.

:-D

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 9 Sep 2024 22:02

Renewed thanks to you all.

We're lucky enough to have family portraits of most of the above characters and this snippet adds further background to their lives and faces.

:-D