Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anthony Kenmuir

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anthony

Anthony Report 9 Feb 2003 10:57

Please have a look at the History board for Kenmuir where I'll put in fuller information. My Dad (Callum) had some research done on our name some years ago for my Granfather (Wallace). Apparently there are only around 500 of us in the world and we are all one family. We are descended from a branch of the Gordon clan and our main anscestor of note was William Gordon the 7th Viscount Kenmuir (Kenmuir was the name of a house/estate) who led the Jacobite revolution in 1718, for which he was beheaded at the tower of London. The family fled to Ireland and later came back and settled in the Kilmarnock area where their descendents appeared to be mostly miners. A branch of the family set off for Canada around the turn of the last century and I have contacts with their descendants if you are interested. Robert Burns wrote a poem about us called O, Kenmuirs On and Awa'! E-mail me!

Natalie

Natalie Report 4 Nov 2007 05:59

Hello
My great great grandma was isabella Kenmuir, born around 1848 ireland to a Adam kenmuir and margaret McKeown, this is all i know about the kenmuirs, so if you have any information on the family, it would be very welcome
Kind regards
Natalie