Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fergal Dearle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fergal

Fergal Report 30 May 2007 09:35

Any Dearle's out there may be interested in the following. Many years ago my mother (Dearle by marriage only) discovered a plaque on the wall of Falaise Castle in Normandy, France. This plaque contains the list of 100 or so Knights who accompanied William the Conqueror to England and took part with him in the Battle of Hastings. One of the Knights names is Guilliame deArle. The plaque no longer hangs on the wall of the castle as it used but it has been moved to the Civic Offices of the town which are very close to the Castle. I've made the visit myself and can vouch for its existence. This is surely our original ancestor and would suggest that perhaps the name refers to a place Arle ; (de Arle .... 'of' or 'from' Arle) somewhere in France or Normandy. Regards Fergal Dearle. (One of only 5 Dearle's in Ireland).