Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Segar

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 9 Dec 2006 10:44

From talks with several family members it appears that the Segar family originated in Holland. They arrived in this country in the early 1600s as a result of a shipwreck in the English Channel. (I can only assume that they were trying to reach either America, or, as my friend's Irish wife thinks possible, Ireland as the English were extremely unpopular in Europe in those days and many Europeans travelled to Ireland in order to join the Irish in their battles against this country) The survivors of the shipwreck came ashore in Devon and split into 4 groups. One settled in Devon itself, a second set up home in and around London, the third carried on to Ireland (my friend's wife may well be correct) and the fourth, which is the one that I am descended from, travelled north to Lancashire and became farmers in and around Southport, Formby and Ainsdale. There is a 'Segar's Lane' in Ainsdale and some years ago I came across two farms bearing the name 'Segar's Farm' - one in Ainsdale and the other just outside Ormskirk. Also many years ago I spoke to a lady whose son in law is a Segar and who used to work on his father's farm in Southport. If anyone can confirm or add to this story I would be glad to hear from them. I can be contacted by telephone on 01925 754386

Catherine

Catherine Report 10 Dec 2007 13:35

Hi David,

I've been tracing my family tree on the segar side foe a while i have got back to 1786 and they are still in liverpool, no connection to the southport Segars.

But on my Maternal side i am descended from the Aughtons of North Meols & there is a marriage to a segar on their side.

Regards

Catherine