Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edward Bellamy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edward

Edward Report 8 Dec 2006 17:11

The name Bellamy is most certainly Norman, not French. Of course, laterly Normandy became a part of France (1204 if memory serves). If you are interested, the Channel Islands were part of Normandy but remained English (from 1066 onwards) after Normandy fell to France. Anyway - it was my understanding that there were predominantly two settlements, one in Plymouth and one in West Yorkshire (plenty of gravestones etc. on the North Yorks West Yorks border in Brotherton and surrounding areas). I am of course happy to be corrected at any stage and am quite interested in this Viking link. And yes, Bellamy is likely to have its origins in 'Good Friend', belle now in French meaning beautiful, but it may be worth checking the norman origins.

Brian

Brian Report 4 Nov 2007 19:13

Hello Edward.
I have a Edward BELLAMY involved in my family tree.
I did type a letter to you but I,m notsure it posted to you .
Brian M DAVIS

Brian

Brian Report 4 Nov 2007 19:15

Edward .
It does appear to me that it never posted
I look forward tohearing from you.
Brian m DAVIS