Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Jones

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

huwsam

huwsam Report 2 Jul 2007 12:24

Greetings from the 'great south land'. I thought I'd already posted this but ... I am looking for info on the Harris & Jones side(s) of my family. My natural grandmother was Rachel Mary Harris b c1883, probably Merthyr area, Pontypridd. Married Samuel Jones b c1879, on 5 Oct 1912, died some time between 1915 and 1930, maybe from TB. They also had a son John. No records, no contact possible. My mum, Elizabeth Jane Jones/Lewis/Davies was born 10/11/1915. Mum was 'adopted' by a relative, Sarah Lewis (hence the name change, possibly her grandmother, some time between 1915 & 1930. Another site says that adoption was an informal thing until 1928 so there may be no official records. This was also Sarah's second marriage, I believe. I need help in tracing the Harris & Jones records: Mum's natural dad was a Samuel Jones (collier), his father John Jones (Fitter, deceased at the time of the marriage). Rachel's father was John Harris, Engineman, of Bailey St Wattstown. I have ploughed the census indexes without much success so far in pinning them down. I am coming to Wales later this year and would like to tie things up before then to maximise chances of getting certificates etc. Any Harrises or Joneses out there who can assist? regards, Huw