Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Sandercock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 20 Jun 2007 18:49

CHRISTOPHER SANDERCOCK - 1882-1941 Merchant Ships. I am not looking for specifically for Christopher Sandercock, who was my grandfather, but would like to hear from anyone who had ancestors in the Merchant Navy, that sailed in the following ships:- SS Stonegate, SS Llandudno, SS War Aribis, SS Leyland SS Hartside, SS Elterwater and finally and most importantly the SS Rio Azul. All the above ships were sunk either as a result of enemy action ((WWI & WWII) or an accident at sea. The SS Rio Azul was sunk on 12th July, 1942 as a result of enemy action, and it is reported by a survivor that my grandfather refused to drink what little water they had. He gave up his water ration to younger men, my grandfather being 59 years old then, and who as a result of his decision, died of thirst. Ironically, some two years before he died, there was an article in the 'Shields Gazette' (South Shields) about my grandfather, under the title of 'Shieldsman from the Stonegate is 'Man They Can't Drown'. They listed the number of times my grandfather was 'shipwrecked' and survived. As reported, strangely, he still didn't drown but died of thirst. It was almost two years after he lost his eldest son, my father, also in the Merchant Navy. If anyone can expand on what happened to the crew of the SS Rio Azul (London) after it sank, and whether the story about my grandfather was true, I would be most grateful. Pamela Ivison (nee Sandercock)