Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Bowen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dominique

Dominique Report 11 Jun 2007 00:40

Hi, This is a very long shot, but I'm getting desperate. My great Grandfather was a Arthur James Bowen, we think from wales, we are not sure where though. He was born around 1873. When he was about 14 this mum died in child birth (they baby didn't suvive either) and his father (it looks like Thomas from Arthurs marriage certificate) remarried. Arthur did not get on with his new step mum and ran away at 14 and joined the army, shropeshire regiment we think, lying about his age. He fought in the Boer war and recieved medals. While in the army he might have put his uncle and aunt down as next of kin/residence. He returned from the Boer War and took up residence in Gloucester marrying a Harriet Jane (Jenny) Winfield. We know from this time on he did not have any contact with the Bowens and did not talk about them, hence the difficulty tracing the family. My grandmother - who is about to turn 99 - remembers staying with some relatives of her fathers of the surname Dove. She remebers staying with 2 unmarried Dove sisters - but is not sure how they were exactly related. She called them Aunt but she is adamant that they weren't her fathers brothers - maybe much older cousin perphaps? If this rings a bell with anyone - maybe theres a family story out there where one of the sons ran away and disappeared, or theres an Arthur in your family tree who you don't know what happened too, I would love for you to get in contact with me. Dominique