Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Mikkelsen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 21 May 2007 16:00

My mother Ruby Gunhilde Mikkelsen was born on 17 August 1908 to Amanda Johanne Mikkelsen aged 23 (who was born in Bergen, Norway). Amanda came to England and worked as a parlour maid in Alvestoke, Gosport Hampshire at the time of my mother's birth. Amanda gave birth to my mother in Queen Charlottes Hospital, London. I do not know for sure but think that Amanda may have given my mother up for adoption and/or to be looked after by a couple she always referred to as her 'Mum and Dad' but who obviously weren't. They lived in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. My mother's address at age 21 was 19 London Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire. I have photos of a Mabel (in her early 20s) and a lovely looking boy called Laurie aged about 12. I have pictures of her 'Mum and Dad' but no names for them. I would very much like to know what happened to my mother following her birth. Amanda had a sister, Matthilde also from Bergen Norway who married Charles Matheron in Fulham, London in 1909. Matthilde died in 1911 and Charles married again - these are all in my Family Tree but my mother's early life is a mystery. I know she attended Stevenage Girls School or School for Girls. She was enaged for several years to a Bob but married my father Alfred in 1947. I would also like to know what happened to my grandmother Amanda following the birth of my mother. Amanda died in Worthing in 1959. The other great mystery is who my grandfather may have been at the time my grandmother was in service in Alverstoke, Gosport, Hampshire. This entry is a blank on my mother's birth certificate. This fact was a terrible burden for my mother all through her life that she was illigimate and did not know her father. If anyone has any knowledge, I would be extremely grateful as so many years have now passed by.