Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Day

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 18 May 2007 17:09

My name is Richard Day I am trying to trace information on my Grandfather CHARLES SYDNEY DAY post 1918. Born in St Albans 1887. He was one of 5 children born to George and Fanny who lived at 30 Marlborough Road St Albans. Charles Sydney met my Grandmother, Lillian Piddock, while serving in the Royal Scots at Shornecliffe in 1908 and, although they never married, they had three children Margaret, born in 1910, Richard (my Father) born 1912 and Rosamund born 1914. They lived at 55 Cannon Street St Albans until Charles was recalled to the Army as a B Reservist in August 1914. Captured at Le Cateau 25/26 August 1914, Charles spend the remainder of the war in a POW camp in the village of Hoenwephel Germany before being repatriated at the end of the war. Charles Sydney's last known appearance was at his sister Charlotte Annie's funeral on 7th December 1918 at St Albans, reported in the Hertfordshire Advertiser . Charles attended, along with a Mrs CS Day (sister-in-law), this could have been my Grandmother. I am seeking any information on CHARLES SYDNEY DAY after 1919 - did he emigrate? if so, where to? I have no idea what he looks like so copies of any photographs would be great. Regards Richard Day Charles did not return to the family home, which was now in Cheriton Kent, where she moved in c1916 and had a further child in 1917. This may have some bearing on Charles's decision not to take up with Lillian on return from Germany.