Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find French

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 8 May 2007 17:50

There is a family story that WILLIAM FRENCH b1827 from MILL END, RICKMANSWORTH, HERTS died rescuing a dog from the frozen Serpentine in London. The ice cracked and he drowned, weighed down by his sodden woollen coat. Has anyone any idea how I can verify this story? Linda

Catherine

Catherine Report 29 Oct 2007 19:29

Hi Linda
There is a grave with a big tombstone with a dog on it in Finchley cementary, with the story of a William French jumping in to save a dog not in the serpentine but the lakes on hampsted heath.
There are flowers placed there to this day and the monument was errected by fellow dog lovers.
Incidentally my maternal side of the family is french, my grandfather born 1901 at St Pancras...Alfred French.
Anyway going back to the story it is a huge monument so should be easy to find. Good Luck.