Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Coyle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 16 Feb 2007 17:14

I am trying to find information about the Coyle family from Cavan Ireland. Michael Coyle DOB Unknown - wife unknown. His son, Patrick, m. Margaret Rogers in Castletara 1880. They had 5 children: James b. 1880 Mary Anne b. 1883 *John Patrick b. 1885 (his civil registration record shows name as Charles John, so not sure which name he would have been known by.) *Christopher Joseph b. 1885 Rose Anne b.1887 * Twins We have no idea what happened to any of the family other than a vague idea that Christopher's siblings may have emigrated to Canada. My Great Grandfather, Christopher, was a merchant seaman in WW1, he married 3 times and had 5 children. He died in 1963 in Birmingham. Any information would be really welcome, no matter how small. Thanks very much for looking.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Dec 2007 01:03

I have Coyles in my tree from Cavan Ireland. Dont think they are the same family, but you are welcome to search through the tree and see if it helps at all.
Liz Ferla

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Dec 2007 01:45

In the 1911 Canadian census there are about 20 Coyles born in Ireland, mostly older. That's the count not counting mistranscriptions, anyhow -- the 1901 and 1911 Cdn censuses are horrifically written in the first place, then badly scanned and abysmally transcribed.

This one might match one of those siblings:

Name: Patrick Coyle
Marital Status: Single
Birth Date: Mar 1885
(do you know your John Patrick's actual date of birth?)
Birthplace: Ireland
Family Number: 44
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Immigration Year: 1911
Tribal: Irish
Province: New Brunswick
District: Saint John City and County
District Number: 32
Sub-District: Lancaster Parish, Lancaster Height, Fairville
Sub-District Number: 1
Place of Habitation: Main St
Census Year: 1911
Page: 5

Occupation appears to be Labourer.

... And danged if he isn't sharing quarters with a Cdn branch of the bane of my existence, the perennially mistranscribed Moncks, this time Monch. I'm off to fix the nonsense ...

Oh, Liz -- back when this and another post you have replied to were written, it wasn't possible to reply to posts, so most people who posted then don't know they should look for replies. You might want to send private messages to alert the posters to your pots!

... er ... posts.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Dec 2007 16:15

Thanks for the info Kathryn, I am obviously new to all this!
Deborah, the Coyles in my family came from that part of Ireland, then some moved over to Cambuslang in Scotland.
My email is [email protected] if you want to discuss.
Liz