Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Hall

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roger

Roger Report 18 Jan 2007 16:27

Help please from my cousins in OZ - I am trying to find descendants of - George James Hall & Rose Hall (nee Schooling) both born abt 1884. He was a carpenter & she had been a domestic servant. They emigrated from the UK (Barking - Essex) to Oz between WWI & WWII with Rose's sister Amy Letitia Schooling. Rose was the un-identical twin of my grandmother Lily Armitage (nee Schooling). I do have a photo dated 1956, which may be of their grandchildren. Anthony - 13; Lynette - 8; Geoffrey - 6. I also have a photo of my dad John Hammond with Rose in the latter years of WWII taken in Sydney NSW. Any help/clues etc (however remote) would be greatly appreciated. Who knows, I might have some cousins sometime removed in Oz. I have already found one in the UK & she, Donna would also would be very interested in any information that I could pass on to her about her great great aunt. Thanks in advance - Roger Hammond

Robin

Robin Report 11 Nov 2007 09:37

Hi Roger,
I found your Rose Schooling on the 1891 & 1901 census. In 1891 she is in Dagenham with father John and mother Mary and 1901 she is a servant in Ilford. She married George James in 1909. There is a Rose Hall died 1968 in Sydney on the www.bdm.nsw.gov.au website with father John and Mary death is listed as Sydney so must have lived inner city. There are a couple of George Jameses so a bit difficult to find. You could get the death cert. and find the informant. Also try the New South Wales forum on genforum.genealogy.com could help.
Bye
Robin in Australia

Valerie

Valerie Report 12 Nov 2007 00:17

Hi Roger, You may like to try 'JOY MURRIN's Transcription service' (on-line) -she visits the NSW BMD -and will do a 'search' from $7. (Oz d certs give names/ages of off-spring) ............ Also -The NSW State Library has an 'Ask a Librarian' service -(Query form on-line) they will check their records including electoral rolls/death notices for you. Valerie (WA)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Nov 2007 02:43

Can I play? ;)

You weren't asking about Amy Letitia Schooling -- do you know about her?

She's in the GRO index as born 1887 in Romford (assuming that's her -- Rose and Lily were born in Romford in 1883, so most likely it is her).

In the NSW death index, there is:

41634/1969
BULL LETITIA AMY
father: JOHN
AGED 83 YRS
district: RYDE

That's a pretty good match for her.

Yup -- here's her marriage:

759/1915
BULL THOMAS A
SCHOOLING LETITIA A
district: REDFERN

That's the only Schooling marriage shown 1900-1956.

For the names you do have -- Anthony, Lynette, Geoffrey possibly Hall -- try google! E.g.:

"anthony hall" sydney nsw
-- finds a professor.

"geoffrey hall" sydney nsw
-- finds a cinematographer -- and the Australia white pages:
http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/initResSearch.do
has a Geoff P Hall in Sydney

"lynnette hall" sydney nsw
-- finds assorted things -- women our age sometimes aren't married, and are increasingly not finding it necessary to adopt someone else's name if we do marry, a good thing for genealogical searches.

Might be worth just some cold contacts with people by the right names!