Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Baldwin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 11 Jul 2006 10:47

This is my brick wall, mainly because my g-g grandfather, William James BALDWIN, migrated to New Zealand two months before the 1851 British Census. Just to complicate matters, he does not give any parent details on his New Zealand marriage and death certificates, with the exception that his death certificate [he died on the 11 May 1903, Barrett Street, New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand], gives his date of birth as 1818, Grennage (= Greenwich), Kent, England and his father's name as James BALDWIN. As other researchers have rightly pointed out, Greenwich could be the port that he left from in London, rather then his place of birth. Hence I'm looking for any WJB with a father James BALDWIN any where in England in the 1841 British Census. WJB's father, James BALDWIN could have been born anywhere in England. I have checked the 1841 British Census for Greenwich, England without success. I am presently checking the rest of London but have had no success to date. I have the 1851 Census Index for Greenwich, but there is no James BALDWIN listed in the index that would suggest any connection. Hence I'm prepared to look at any family in England that has a James BALDWIN as it's head with a William James BALDWIN as his son. The only other information that may be of use is the names of William James BALDWIN, who married Louisa INCH, in New Plymouth, NZ on 20 Jul 1853, children, all of whom were born and died in New Zealand and are listed below: A. Amelia BALDWIN, b. 09 Dec 1853, New Plymouth, New Zealand. Amelia died 18 Oct 1912, Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand. B. Helen Philippa BALDWIN, b. 12 Oct 1855, New Plymouth, New Zealand. Helen died 11 May 1933, Iona Private Hospital, New Plymouth, NZ, buried: 13 May 1933, Hurdon Cemetery, New Plymouth, NZ. C. Louisa Elizabeth BALDWIN, b. 01 Jul 1857, New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand. Louisa died 24 Sep 1933, 332 St Aubyn Street, New Plymouth, NZ, buried: 26th Sep 1933, Te Henui Cemetery, New Plymouth, NZ. D. Emma BALDWIN, b. 26 Jul 1859, New Plymouth, New Zealand. Emma died 05 Oct 1929, buried: Okaiawa Cemetery, New Zealand. E. Thomas William BALDWIN, b. 07 Feb 1862, New Plymouth, New Zealand. Thomas died 11 Mar 1935, Whangarei Public Hospital, buried: 13 Mar 1935. F. Mary Alice BALDWIN, b. 04 Jun 1864, New Plymouth, New Zealand. G. Edmund Alfred BALDWIN, b. 06 Jun 1866, New Plymouth, New Zealand, d. 24 Jan 1887, Town Belt, Dunedin, New Zealand, buried: 31 Jan 1887. Family folklore has it that James BALDWIN was a minister of religion. If this is the case then it would have to be for a non-conformist religion, as I have checked the appropriate records for Church of England ministers. I'm Does any of the above sound familiar, in relation to your BALDWIN family? Regards Greg Baldwin

Alyson

Alyson Report 26 Oct 2007 11:53

Hi i have a load of baldwins in my tree from london & kent if i can be any help let me know
Alyson