Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Rothwell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy

Joy Report 9 Oct 2004 14:35

FLORENCE [ee ROTHWELL?] wife of SAMUEL HEYWOOD of Middleton, Lancashire [circa1884 -1940] My husband’s paternal Grandmother, Florence, married Samuel Heywood in 1916/17 and was the mother of my father-in-law, another Samuel Heywood. His birth certificate shows her to have been “formerly Hayes”, where her maiden name should be. We have traced a Charles and Florence Hayes, [nee ROTHWELL], who married in 1902 in Haslingden, Lancashire, and we think lived in Lytton St. Beswick, Manchester, prior to World War1. A Charles Hayes was killed in action in 1915, and is shown leaving a widow Florence. This would fit with a second marriage to Grandfather Samuel, born in 1886, In Middleton, Lancashire. We can find no further records of Rothwell or, Hayes in the localities. I believe there were some Hayes relatives in the Middleton/Oldham area, but do not recall mention of any Rothwell relatives. Just to add to the complications Grandfather Samuel, and his siblings, Sarah, Newton, Annie, and Felicia, went to live with Joseph Schofield, who married their mother Ann [nee Whitlegg] after the death of their father Albert Heywood in 1896. If anyone who can cast light on the origins of Florence [or may have been referred to as Florrie] from the details above, we would be pleased to hear from you. Joy Heywood

Carol

Carol Report 26 Oct 2007 22:00

Hi Joy.
I don't know if this is of any help or not! I have a Samuel Heywood in my tree. I think he was the brother of my grt. grandfather James William Heywood. The only reference I have of him at the moment is in JW's obituary but this makes me sure he was a close family member. 2 of JW's children married into the Rothwell family. Joseph Heywood married Sarah (known as Sally) and Polly Heywood married John (known as Jack).
Perhaps if we put our heads together we could come up with something?
My e-mail address is [email protected]
I look forward to hearing from you.
Carol.