Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Ruffle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 6 May 2004 22:51

I am looking for the Decendants of GEORGE RUFFLE/RUFFELL He was born in 1856 lived in a Caravan and was a Showman, as was his father GEORGE, (Swingboat Propietors) They later settled in Poole, Dorset, where they became Fish Hawkers and were very well known in the Quay pubs!!! Indeed, it was as a result of a drunken bet, after leaving the "Jolly Sailor", that GEORGE drowned in the harbour in 1898!!! The family had Doss Houses in and around Strand St, Poole. You could say that they were well known to the local Police. My Great Grandfather, (Georges son), WILLIAM GEORGE RUFFLE/RUFFELL, had to change his name to his mothers maiden name of ROLFE and move away to Portsmouth!! WILLIAM, aka BILL MOONUS was a notorious poacher in and around Dorset!!!! Also, anyone know of a SNEAKER RUFFELL?

Mark

Mark Report 17 Sep 2007 10:56

Hello,
The information you write has been confirmed on the BBC Kent romany "Blog"- there are many enteries about the family. It appears that the RUFFELL ancestors came over from Belgium in the 1500, they were thatchers and the coat of arms is 3 haystacks.
They became settled in Suffolk/ Essex and from there it appears some left and travelled to the Hampshire area and made a living as hawkers (and poachers) It is at that stage the name was changed to Rolfe. It seems that we all stem from good farming/Romany roots- unfortunatley the Gorji way of life has taken us over!
Happy research
Mark

Catherine

Catherine Report 9 Dec 2007 12:10

Hi John

My gg grandmother Emma Ruffell was born in Braintree in 1851. She had a brother George, born 1856. Emma married William Vaughan (a hawker) and their daughter Jane Ellen married John Savage (my g grandad).

I know my family had a fairground connection and lived in the Poole and Portsmouth areas, where they owned property and land. I am really interested in the Ruffells and would love to find more information.

Any information you could share would be much appreciated.

Regards

Catherine