Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

which one do I look at?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 25 Jul 2007 13:16

I have found the will of one of my ancestors on scotlands people. Trouble is there are 3 to look at which are £5 pounds each, I can't afford to look at them all just yet, can only dish out for one of them. but which one should I look at: see below

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 25 Jul 2007 13:19

18 Douglas James 26/07/1849 Grocer at Kelso Bond of Caution, Confirmed Testament Dative Jedburgh Sheriff Court SC62/44/14 VIEW (£5.00) (9 pages) what does it mean by bond of caution, confirmed testament dative 6 Douglas James 18/07/1849 Grocer at Kelso Jedburgh Sheriff Court SC62/44/17 VIEW (£5.00) (7 pages) 7 Douglas James 18/07/1849 Grocer at Kelso Additional Inventory Jedburgh Sheriff Court SC62/44/17 VIEW (£5.00) (7 pages) thanks

Penny

Penny Report 25 Jul 2007 13:30

Bond of Caution If the deceased did not leave a Will and you are not the spouse, you will need to obtain a Bond of Caution before Confirmation is issued. This is an insurance against someone applying for Confirmation when they are not entitled to do so or an executor failing to distribute the estate according to law. After applying for Confirmation at the Sheriff Clerk's Office, the executor takes the form to an insurance company to obtain a Bond. The insurance company will charge a fee for this. The executor returns the application for Confirmation and the Bond along with any fee payable to the Sheriff Clerk's Office, which will prepare the Confirmation without delay. http://www*scotcourts*gov*uk/library/civil/estates/eight.asp

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 25 Jul 2007 13:32

thanks for that Scarlett, any ideas which would be the best one to look at?

Heather

Heather Report 25 Jul 2007 14:34

Personally Id go for the middle one! In fact we need O.C. here but arent they just all the same document with bits added for the caution on the top one and an inventory on the bottom one? But its up to you ............................ Go over to Family Tree Forum and put the query on the research board and see if O.C. shoots out.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 25 Jul 2007 14:48

hiya Heather, thats what I thought too, but one is 9 pages and the other 2 are 7 pages, so I am not sure.