Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This one is very hard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 25 Jul 2007 00:49

I am looking for either the birth or death which may be abroad or in the first world war of George William Mcarthur. Born abt 1856 Glasgow Lanark Father George w wife Maitland Married Eliza Andrews 1882 in Newington London. 1st son born George 1883 Brighton. 2nd son Frederick born 1886 Marlybone London. 1901 Census at the Station Hotel Cupar Scotland. 1910 Fredrick Marries Mary Henderson in Edinburgh. 1912 George marries Mary Russell in Perth.the father George William Mcarthur is a witness. 1916 Eliza Andrews (Mcarthur) remarries Robert Lauriston Edinburgh she is a widow, so George William Mcarthur died 1912-1916 where I do not know I have hit the wall on this one.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2007 01:30

I see from your thread dated 4th June that no one managed to find the death. Maureen

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 25 Jul 2007 05:16

Hi There are three George McArthurs listed on the Commonwealth War Graves website with no ages given - and I don't know how to find out if any are your George William. The Australian WW1 records are on-line for all servicement and include age and next of kin, but I don't know about the UK - you could try the medal cards. You could be really unlucky, like us - Uncle Bill 'went funny' after his wife died and 'ran off to join the foreign legion' - wife died in 1939, right on WW2. The French Foreign Legion kept no records of those joining them, even if he enlisted under his true name. Di

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 25 Jul 2007 15:47

You could look, or get someone to look for you, at National Archives to see if there are any surviving service records for him for WW1. If he died in the War, then at least you'd be able to identify the correct one on Commonwealth War Graves.