Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help to find Mary Ashton please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 24 Jul 2007 23:49

Can anyone help me please, I'm trying to find Mary Ashton before her marriage to James Birch in 1883. According to the 1891 Census records she was born in about 1854 in Prescot, Lancs. I have found her in 1891 and 1901 as Mary Birch living in St. Helens, Lancs. On her marriage records it names her father as John Ashton and his occupation as watchmaker but I just can't find her living with her parents in 1861, '71 or '81. Thanks in advance Karen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2007 00:09

Have you ruled this one out because she is not with parents? 1871 Name: Mary Ashton Age: 19 Estimated birth year: abt 1852 Relation: Servant Gender: Female Where born: Prescot, Lancashire, England Civil Parish: Prescot Ecclesiastical parish: Prescot St Mary Town: Prescot County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Prescot Sub-registration district: Prescot ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 145 Household Members: Name Age Ellen Ashton 21 born Prescot Mary Ashton 19 James Tayler 40 Catherine Taylor 5 Christopher Taylor 5 Elizabeth Taylor 3 John Taylor 8 Margaret Taylor 17 Peter Taylor 7 Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2007 00:16

1861 Name: Ellen Ashton Age: 13 Estimated birth year: abt 1848 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Gender: Female Where born: Prescot, Lancashire, England Civil Parish: Prescot Town: Prescot County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: PRESCOT Sub-registration district: Prescot ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 160 Household Members: Name Age Ann Ashton 7 Ellen Ashton 13 James Ashton 35 - brother, watch ????? maker John Ashton 43 John is a watch wheel cutter ??

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2007 00:31

1851 Name: John Ashton Age: 33 Estimated birth year: abt 1818 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: St Helen, Lancashire, England Civil Parish: Prescot Ecclesiastical parish: Prescot Town: Prescot County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: watchmaker Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Prescot Sub-registration district: Farnworth ED, institution, or vessel: 3d Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 5 Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Ashton 9 Ellen Ashton 7 Jane Ashton 12 John Ashton 33 Mary Ashton 38 Not convinced that Ellen is age 7 on image. Just wondering if Mary b1853ish was known as Ann if mother was Mary

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2007 21:47

n

Karen

Karen Report 25 Jul 2007 23:51

A very big thank you to Maureen for her help. I never thought about her going into service, I should have done, I remember my grandma telling me she went into service in Prescot before she married my grandfather. Karen x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2007 23:54

Karen I nudged up because I have not found her in 1881 so was hoping that someone else would. Maureen