Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

? Mary Alice pre 1866

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Camille

Camille Report 24 Jul 2007 23:36

see below...back in a mo'

Camille

Camille Report 24 Jul 2007 23:51

I am looking for my G G Granny.... Mary Alice Sumner gave birth to Emma Jane Sumner in 1866 in Rotherwick , Hants. Alice Sumner married George Rampton 1869 in Mortimer ,Berks. Father's name....Charles Sumner....Labourer. What I need to know is where was she prior to the birth of her Daughter? I can only assume she was born around 1840s as marriage cert .says 'Full Age'

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jul 2007 23:57

This looks like it might be her in 1861:- Name: Mary A Sumner Age: 13 Estimated birth year: abt 1848 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Elizabeth Gender: Female Where born: Heckfield, Hampshire, England Civil Parish: Heckfield Ecclesiastical parish: Winchester County/Island: Hampshire Country: England Street address: (looks like) Hayley Lee Occupation: Father is an Agricultural Labourer Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Hartley Wintney Sub-registration district: Hartley Wintney ED, institution, or vessel: 10b Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 19 Household Members: Name Age Eliza Sumner 19 Elizabeth Sumner 56 Francis Sumner 15 James Sumner 17 John Sumner 53 Mary A Sumner 13 William Sumner 23 Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 707; Folio: 131; Page: 5 Rotherwick and Heckfield aren't too far apart. UPDATE - Sorry...just realised that you have said father's name is Charles, so this one must be wrong. Kath. x

Camille

Camille Report 25 Jul 2007 00:02

Oh, thanks a lot for this Kath, it looks very promising except that her marriage cert. says Father's name is Charles !, may be a reason for that I suppose altho' it would seem she was definately of marriageable age. Thanks again Lulli x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jul 2007 00:39

1871 just for info Name: Emma J Rampton [Emma Jane Sumner] Age: 5 Estimated birth year: abt 1866 Relation: Daughter Father's name: George Mother's name: Ada Gender: Female Where born: Rotherwick, Hampshire, England Civil Parish: Hartley Wintney Ecclesiastical parish: Winchester Town: Hartley Wintney County/Island: Hampshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Hartley Wintney Sub-registration district: Hartley Wintney ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 179 Household Members: Name Age Ada Rampton 25 born Newbury Emma J Rampton 5 George Rampton 30 Ada is actually Alice on image Does seem familar? Alice is listed as having an impediment of speech from birth. Have looked at this before? Maureen

Camille

Camille Report 25 Jul 2007 00:43

Hi Glitter, thanks for this, I have seen it but think the ADA is an error as her name on both Emma's Birth and her own marriage cert,is definately Alice altho she appeared to drop her first name of Mary by the time she married. Emma Jane's birth cert. says Sumner and on her marriage she used the name Sumner , she appears to have been given the Rampton name whilst living with her step Father. Thanks again for your time Lulli x

Camille

Camille Report 25 Jul 2007 00:54

Me again Maureen....apologies, in my haste I missed the bottom part of your reply. Yes I have posted this before and the speech impediment was mentioned then, however I am still not having any success on her whereabouts prior to 1866 Lulli x