Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP PLEASE I'M STUCK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 23 Jul 2007 19:53

Looking for any information on my greatgrandmothers family Lillian ada jane william 9/7/91 born in london i think. father john joseph williams c1865 wife unknown. my ggrandmother said he was a master butcher. i can't find a birth or marriage record for her although she was married twice to william Adolphus rogers (married portsmouth18/08/1909 ) and charles robert Mc Rea.(18/09/1937) hope somebody can help thanks claire

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jul 2007 20:08

Do you mean you are looking for great grans marriage to either of those men to start with? Here is one marriage: from freebmd The other one will need an ancestry complete bmd look up. September `1909 DANIELS Alfred Portsmouth 2b 976 REDMAN Mary El[il]en Portsmouth 2b 976 >>>>ROGERS William Adolphus Portsmouth 2b 976 >>>>WILLIAMS Lilian Ada Portsmouth 2b 976 If you buy this cert you will have her fathers name.

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jul 2007 20:16

And heres her birth, also on free bmd. Where had you been looking for them? The birth cert will give mum and dads names. Births Sep 1891 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WILLIAMS Lilian Ada J Hackney 1b 588 Theres a few possible for dad, a butcher on the 1881 - do you know the names of any siblings of Lilian for the 1891? Did she have a bro called Herbert? 1881: based on area she was born: Name: Joseph John Williams Age: 29 Estimated birth year: abt 1852 Relation: Servant (Head) (Servant) Gender: Male Where born: Hoxton, Middlesex, England Civil Parish: St Marys Islington County/Island: London Country: England Street address: 48 Halton Rd Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Pork Butchers Assist Registration district: Islington Sub-registration district: Islington East ED, institution, or vessel: 70b Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Frances Emma Crump 52 Herbert Joseph Williams 2 Joseph John Williams 29 Ruth Williams 26

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Jul 2007 20:38

This looks like her on the 1901 census: Lychtet Terrace, North Sheen, St. Mary's, Surrey Joseph John William, head, 32, butcher, born Hants, Portsmouth Alice Amelia, wife, 34, born Herts. Ware? Mabel, dau, 12, born Middlesex, Hackney Lilian Ada Jane, dau, 10, born Middlesex, Hackney Joseph John, son, 4, born Essex, Poplar Rachel E. Bull(something), visitor, 68?, born Middlesex, Enfield

Claire

Claire Report 23 Jul 2007 20:39

thanks i have been looking on ancestry but am not a member so came up with not alot. i have her farthers name john joseph williams, master butcher C1865 but no idea who her mother was or if she had any brothers and sisters. she never spoke of her family. thanks again claire

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Jul 2007 20:57

This looks like the same family in 1891 that I found in 1901 but the 2 yr. old daughter Alice became 12 yr. old Mabel in 1901: 21 Ash Grove, Hackney, Middlesex Joseph Williams, head, 23, butcher, born Hants. Portsmouth Alice, wife, 23, born Hants. Portsmouth Alice, dau, 2, born hackney

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Jul 2007 21:03

From Free BMD: Joseph John Williams married Alice Amelia Bullard, Dec. Q 1887, Portsea., Hampshire.

Claire

Claire Report 23 Jul 2007 21:08

thanks that might explain why my gnan married her first husband in portsea. thanks again claire

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jul 2007 22:45

Claire, freebmd is available for anyone to use free. Do you know how to buy the certificate? From GRO online for £7 using the above ref.

Claire

Claire Report 24 Jul 2007 07:49

hello helen and thanks. where is free bmd available. i was using ancestry untill last week, then they started charging. thanks again claire

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jul 2007 11:00

Claire. www.freebmd.org.uk add it to your favourites Shirley