Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great Grandmother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katie

Katie Report 22 Jul 2007 15:12

Hi Everyone I hope you dont mind me asking for your exspertise again. After a lot of research I have found out that my Nan's Mother's legal name was Elizabeth Doran dob 17/01/1898 place of birth Ireland her Father was William Atherden Date of birth unknown. But I am still unable to trace my nan's birth record I know for sure her name was Angela Joan Atherden DOB 08/8/1916 and her Mother was Elizabeth Doran. I know she was not born in Ireland but do not have any clue where she could have been born. could anyone help me find my nan's record cos it would mean the world to me.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jul 2007 15:19

shes not registered in either the sept or dec qtr 1916.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jul 2007 15:24

Do you have Elizabeth Doran's marriage certificate? Was your nan born before or after her mother married? Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jul 2007 16:44

Sorry to sound 'picky', but if you haven't got the birth cert, you cannot be 100% certain of her DOB. Reg

Katie

Katie Report 22 Jul 2007 17:00

I am 100% sure of My nan's Angela Joan Atherden Birth Date as have been to her grave side and checked, and she was also alive when I was born & lived up untill I was 16 yrs old. especially remember her dates of birth and death as she was my Career. I only did't know her maiden name but after putting in her eldest son's birth detail's I found his record where it say's Mother's maiden was Atherden. Hence I am correct her Name at Birth was Angela Joan Atherden. for My great grandmother Elizabeth I found her death record by a paper cliping of her obituary that my Nan had made and kept and it was this that lead me to find her record on line which had her date of birth. so I know my dates are correct concerning her.

Katie

Katie Report 22 Jul 2007 17:09

Death record for ANGELA CLARK Name ANGELA JOAN CLARK Year of death 1990 Month of death November Registration District HOUNSLOW District Code Registration Number Entry Number Date of Birth 8AUG1916 here is her death record... this is the only record I can find concerning my nan...

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Jul 2007 17:27

Hate to be picky Katie but one of my children is registered with her father's surname, but my name is given as my previous married name, not my maiden name. Could it be the same here? Is your Nan's birth record not there in E & W under Atherden because she had a previous marriage, perhaps during the war, and kept quiet about it. From what you are saying her married name was Clark and she died in 2000. Have you seen her death certificate? If not, do you need to lash out and get it? Do you know when she married? Would the marriage certificate help? Disheartening to have a mystery on your hands re someone you knew, but I am sure we can find her for you. Cheers Sheila

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Jul 2007 17:28

Sorry Katie - your Nan died in 1990. Sheila

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jul 2007 17:34

Katie, You can't be certain anything on a headstone is correct. Mistakes are made. My grandmother's headstone says she was 44 when she died - she was actually 42. My other grandmother's date of death is given as 21st June on her headstone - she actually died 4th June and was buried 6th June, so you see without certificates you can never be certain of anything as already said. And dates of birth given on a death reference are only as accurate as the informant on the death certificate - and they don't always have the correct information. Kath. x

Sheila

Sheila Report 22 Jul 2007 17:36

Katie If I had a brain I would be dangerous! Let's start again. You know who your Nan's parents were and you knew your Nan. You know when she was born, but you can't find her birth record under Atherden. Is that right? Can you be absolutely sure of her birth date? The info given when a death is notified is only as good as the informant. I had a death certificate a couple of weeks ago where the son in law registered the death and was a year out! Easily done. Will let someone else pick this up now before I do any more damage. Sheila