Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please, trying to find Mary Ashton, 1854, Pre

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 21 Jul 2007 16:52

I'm trying to find Mary Ashton born c1854 in Prescot, Lancs. I have viewed her marriage records at the local library for when she married James Birch in 1883 but I can't find her on a census before her marriage. The records stated her father was John Ashton - watchmaker but I can't find either of them in 1881 or before. I have found her in 1891 and 1901 after her marriage as Mary Birch. Thanks in advance Karen

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Jul 2007 17:01

is this her birth Name: Mary Ashton Year of Registration: 1850 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep DISTRICT: Prescot County: Lancashire Volume: 20 Page: 859 Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Jul 2007 17:03

is this them 1851 Name: Mary Ann Ashton Age: 1 Estimated birth year: abt 1850 Relation: Daughter Father's name: James Mother's name: Mary B Gender: Female Where born: Widnes, Lancashire, England Civil Parish: Widnes Ecclesiastical parish: Farnworth County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Prescot Sub-registration district: Farnworth ED, institution, or vessel: 3a Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 109 Household Members: Name Age Daniel Ashton 3 James Ashton 33 Watchmaker Mary Ann Ashton 1 Mary B Ashton 30 Roy

Steph

Steph Report 21 Jul 2007 17:05

Is this Mary on 1861 Census Father James 45yrs old Watchmaker Mother Mary 43 yrs old Daniel 13yrs old Mary 11yrs old George 8yrs old James 5yrs old Isaac 1yr old Born Widnes Lancashire Reg Dist Prescot Address Broad Heath Ditton Farnworth

Karen

Karen Report 21 Jul 2007 17:06

I'm all confused now, was she lying about her age? On her marriage records in 1883 she had her age as 29 so that still makes her born in 1854!! This family history research is driving me crackers, I'm going to be grey before christmas!!

Karen

Karen Report 21 Jul 2007 17:08

I don't think so Roy, on both 1891 and 1901 census records her birth is down as 1854 and I have just found a Mary Ashton on IGI born in1854 in Prescot, her parents were John and Mary Ashton. Thanks Karen

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 21 Jul 2007 17:22

is this her birth? Mary Ashton Year of Registration: 1854 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec DISTRICT: Prescot County: Lancashire Volume: 8b Page: 405 (click birth cert will give mothers name. if you order it put a ref check on is with her dads name john, then if its not the right one they will only charge abt £3.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Jul 2007 17:27

Jennifer. Good one, i did not see that birth, the 1850 one is the only one i could find Roy