Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Please on a birth date...I am confused!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 21 Jul 2007 13:54

I have recieved a marriage cert for my great grandfather Walter Wilkinson. He married in 1897 and states he is 26yrs hence birth year around 1871. On his cert it also said his father was Edwin Wilkinson and an address of 13 Park Grove, Rusholme. I have used this info to search the census and I find him at the above address in 1881 however his birth year on that makes it around 1868....... I also find him on 1891 census again making his birth year approx 1868. Which one am I to believe? (I havent found him on the 1891 census yet). Have I got the right man or is it purely coincidence someone else with a father called Edwin lived at that address? Thanks

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Jul 2007 13:56

Sounds like it's the same man. It's tempting to think that census returns where parents give ages are more accurate ... but ... I know my father was notorious for muddling us up occasionally so I'm sure that happened too back then. Have you found him on 1871 with family. Or not found him on 1871 - that might help and if you do find him on that census it's more likely to give you a more 'accurate' age. How old was wife on marriage cert? Maybe there was a reason he wanted to knock a few years off his age - although can't think of one. Jill

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jul 2007 14:07

Hi Kimberley 1 think my brother always said then doing this hobby. While children were at home it was head of house that gave to info, then once the children left it was then down to them. Maybe some of them couldn't really remember how old they were, so what my brother did was always +/- 5 years on their ages Julie

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 21 Jul 2007 14:10

hi I found him on the 1881 and 1871 will family and give his age as 3 and 13 hence born around 1868. His wife was 23 years on the marriage cert and I have found them on the 1901 census.......he is listed as 38!! (although it is probably meant to be 28) and his wife 27 so hers corresponds and his doesnt!!

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 21 Jul 2007 14:14

Hi Julie your probably right...I just didnt want to go and add his family before I was sure........good job the address corresponded!

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jul 2007 14:17

This is him in the 1891 Walter Wilkinson Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1870 Relation: Son Mother's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Civil Parish: Rushulme Ecclesiastical parish: St James County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Chorlton Sub-registration district: Ardwick ED, institution, or vessel: 36 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Frederick Wilkinson 15 Harold Wilkinson 20 John Wilkinson 23 Mary Wilkinson 54 Thomas Wilkinson 17 Walter Wilkinson 21 Address is 13 Park Grove

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 21 Jul 2007 14:19

your a gem Julie thanks! I hope Walter is worth all this!! lol

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jul 2007 14:30

He is here in the 1871 lol Walter Wilkinson Age: 3 Estimated birth year: abt 1868 Relation: Son Father's name: Edwin Mother's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Highes, Broughton Civil Parish: Gorton Ecclesiastical parish: St James County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Chorlton Sub-registration district: Ardwick ED, institution, or vessel: 46 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 11 Household Members: Name Age Charles E Wilkinson 9 Edwin Wilkinson 34 Harold Wilkinson 1 Jane E Wilkinson 11 John Wilkinson 7 Mary Wilkinson 34 Sarah Wilkinson 5 Walter Wilkinson 3

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jul 2007 14:32

On the 1871 it has Walter and Harold born at the same place here is Harolds birth Births Dec 1869 (>99%) Wilkinson Harold Salford 8d 31 ______________________________________________________ This could be Walters Births Jun 1868 (>99%) WILKINSON Walter Salford 8d 31 Salford covers Broughton Julie