Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Alexander Whitehead 1866

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 21 Jul 2007 11:24

Hi There, I have found my Ancestor in the 1871 and 1881 Census for Woolwich but I cannot find him in the 1891 or 1901 Census. In the 1881 Census Joseph is aged 14 years and a Trumpet player for the Royal Artillery in Woolwich. Most of my Whiteheads stayed in the Woolwich area but in later years some of them moved away. Can anyone help please find Joseph in later Census. Thankyou. Joseph Alexander Whitehead born 1866 Woolwich Kent. Regards Marion

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2007 11:42

Perhaps he was overseas? If he stayed in the Army, it's possible. Do you have reason to think he would have still been alive? Reg

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 21 Jul 2007 12:23

Thankyou Reg for your reply. Yes I do think Joseph was still alive in 1901 and in Woolwich. Regards Marion

Janice

Janice Report 21 Jul 2007 12:33

Julie, He's listed as Joseph Alexander Whitehead in 1881 at the Barracks. Janice

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jul 2007 12:35

Marion Can you post either the 1871 or 1881 details please as im not picking him up Julie

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jul 2007 12:54

Thanks Janice Marion....Looked every way i could think of and couldn't see him

Janice

Janice Report 21 Jul 2007 13:25

Hi Marion, Did he marry someone called Emil and have 5 daughters: Violet, Agnes, Daisy, Lena and Alberta? If so, I've found him in 1901 in Eastbourne using the name Alexander. It has been indexed as Whitehurst but image says Whitehead. Can't read all of the occupation but it is something with the Sussex artillery. Violet was born in India so, if this the right family, it would explain why he can't be found in 1891. Janice

Janice

Janice Report 21 Jul 2007 16:07

nudged for Marion

Sheila

Sheila Report 21 Jul 2007 18:52

Hi Marion,I think Janice has found him. Not Royal Artillery as you may have expected. But as we know....they loved changing their names around. Best regards Sheila

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 21 Jul 2007 21:44

Thankyou so much to everyone who helped me with Joseph. He was indeed a hard one to find. Janice you found him so a big thankyou goes you way. I have come acorss other Whiteheads spelt incorrectly as well over the years but must have missed this one. Thankyou all so very much. Marion