Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Gatenby Gray and Sarah Gray 1861/71 census pl

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2007 09:33

Please can someone look up John and Sarah gray on the 1861/71 census. Sorry I do not know anything about these two people except they married in 1855 in York and they had a son called Walter c1862. I am not sure but i think Walter was born in Winterton Lincs. Thanks for your help Jane

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2007 09:39

According to the IGI he was born in St Denis Yorkshire Dec 1834. His parents were George and Hannah Gray. Jane

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Jul 2007 09:45

this is the only one i can find with a son called Walter in yorks or lincs 1871 Name: Sarah Gray Age: 36 Estimated birth year: abt 1835 Relation: Wife Spouse's name: John Gender: Female Where born: Horsforth, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: Horsforth Ecclesiastical parish: Woodside St James Town: Horsforth County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Wharfedale Sub-registration district: Horsforth ED, institution, or vessel: 6 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 130 Household Members: Name Age John Gray 36 John Gray 5 Louisa Gray 9 Lydia A Gray 12 Mary Gray 1 Sarah Gray 36 Walter Gray 7 Roy

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2007 09:55

Hi Jim and Roy Thank you so much for your help but I do not think this is my family as I have them on the 1881 cesnus (But not Walter). John G. GRAY Head M Male 47 York (St Denis), York, England Labourer Sarah GRAY Wife M Female 45 York (St Margrets), York, England Henry GRAY Son Male 11 York (St Cuthberts), York, England Ada GRAY Daur Female 6 York St Cuthberts, York, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling 6 Hallfield Terrace Census Place York St Cuthbert, York, England Family History Library Film 1342142 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 4723 / 41 Page Number 38 Please can you try Again. Thanks

Thelma

Thelma Report 21 Jul 2007 10:20

1861 England Census about John G Gray Name: John G Gray Age: 26 Estimated birth year: abt 1835 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Sarah Gender: Male Where born: York, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: York St Cuthbert County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Walmgate ED, institution, or vessel: 6 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 86 Household Members: Name Age George Gray 2 Hannah Gray 5 John G Gray 26 Sarah Gray 25 Sarah Gray 6

Thelma

Thelma Report 21 Jul 2007 10:23

How about a different spelling to add to your collection? 1871 England Census about Walter Gary Name: Walter Gary Age: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Relation: Son Father's name: John Gatenby Mother's name: Sarah Gender: Male Where born: St Cuthberts, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: St Cuthbert County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Walmgate ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 168 Household Members: Name Age George William Gary 12 Henry Gary 1 John Gatenby Gary 37 Sarah Gary 35 Sarah Ann Gary 5 Walter Gary 7

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2007 10:35

HI Jim Thank you so much you have found them. Is there any sign of them on the 1871. Thank you. Jane

Thelma

Thelma Report 21 Jul 2007 10:57

I spotted your other thread 1891 England Census about Walter Gray Name: Walter Gray Age: 27 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Alice M Gender: Male Where born: Yorkshire, England Civil parish: St Cuthberts Ecclesiastical parish: St Cuthberts Town: York County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Walmgate ED, institution, or vessel: 9 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Alice M Gray 28 Stanley W Gray 3 weeks Walter Gray 27 Arthur Skinner 1

Thelma

Thelma Report 21 Jul 2007 10:58

1901 England Census about Walter Gray Name: Walter Gray Age: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Alice M Gender: Male Where born: York, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: York Ecclesiastical parish: St Cuthbert County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: York Sub-registration district: Walmgate ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 193 Household Members: Name Age Alice Gray 3 Alice M Gray 38 Gladys Gray 2 Stanley W Gray 10 Walter Gray 37 Walter Gray 4 months

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2007 11:04

Thanks Jim for finding them on the 1871 census. Please could I ask for one more look up. Please could you find him on the 1891 census. If you can that will sort my mystery out for me. You see I have two Walter Grays one born 1863 York (son of John Gatenby Gray) and the other born 1862 Winterton Lincs (son of James Gray). I have a marriage Sept 1887 for a Walter and a Alice Martha. The marriage cert says John Gatensby Gray is the father but I think his father was James. 1891 census for Walter and Martha says Walter was born in Winterton 1862 and he was a machine operator . 1881 cesnus Walter born Winterton Lincs was living with his parents James and Ann and he was a machine maker 1881 census has Walter born 1863 York living next door to his father and was a Gardener. 1901 has Walter and Martha together and Walter was a Thrashing machine maker. Walter was born Winterton Lincs. Do you see my problem. The Walter that married Martha is more likely to be the son of James than he is the son of John. Could the cert be wrong. Thanks for your help Jane

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2007 11:23

Thank you Jim You have sorted out half the problem for me which is Great. Walter Gray born 1863 married Alice Martha and Walter Gray 1862 married Martha A Now all I have to do is find out when and where my Walter married. Thanks again Jane

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jul 2007 12:41

Thanks Jim I have copied the information you have given me and added it to my notes. Maybe one day we will find the marriage assuming they did get married. All the best jane