Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Northumberland & Durham parish records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joyce

Joyce Report 19 Jul 2007 17:52

Hi folks ..does anyone have access to Northumberland and Durham parish records please? I am trying to find a marriage for Mary Morris from Hexham who married Henry Freeman from Oxfordshire somewhere between 1866 and 1880. I have searched Ancestry, free BMD, LDS and I cannot find anything. Thanks in anticipation!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jul 2007 17:56

Joyce What happened to your other thread about these people? Reg

Joyce

Joyce Report 19 Jul 2007 18:02

Hi Reg The other threads just dried up ... drew a blank. If I wasn't alive I would begin to think that Henry was just in my imagination ! Mary Morris is the daughter of Ann Byers(widow nee Parker) and Thoms Morris. She was christened at Hexham 1853. One of their children was christened at Hexham in Jan 1876 (Jane Elizabeth Freeman). Henry according to the 1881 census which is the onlt trace I have of him apart from his death at Ryton on Tyne in Feb 1890 was born at Oxford. Mary had brothers and sisters Elizabeth, Jane Ann, Joseph and Robert. The kids and their mother Ann are living with their grandmother on the 1861 census at Hexham. They all disappear .. can't find any of them on the 1871 census. Mary appears on 1881 census wife of Henry Freeman along with children including my grandfather Robert Henry. 1891 cenus Mary is a widow, still living in Gateshead, she remarries in 1899 to Findlay Hudspeth and they are in Newcastle on 1901 census. Ann Morris (Mary's mother) appears on 1891 census living with youngest son Robert in Salford and then back in Hexham in 1901. She dies at Hexham 1902. Mary and Henry have got me beat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Joyce

Joyce Report 19 Jul 2007 18:12

I don't know if it would help but Mary and Henry's children were as follows ,all born Newcastle/Durham area: Joseph born 1873 Jane Elizabeth(Lizzie) born 1875 Robert Henry born1877 Henry(1) born1879 died 1882 Annie born1881 Thomas born 1883 Emma born1885 George born1887 Henry(2) born1890

Joyce

Joyce Report 19 Jul 2007 18:53

just a little nudge cos I am desperate for help!

Joyce

Joyce Report 19 Jul 2007 20:37

Looks like I have hit a brick wall again! Think I will give up and take up tennis or something!

Steph

Steph Report 19 Jul 2007 20:42

Joyce, Did you see that on the 1881 census there was a visitor called Dinah Freeman , 18years old, born in Oxford. Could this be a sister of Henrys? If you do a search here Dinah appears in two other trees. Have you got the right wife? It shows in the census she was born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. In the 1861 census there is a Mary Morris age 7 born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. Mother is Hannah. Steph

Joyce

Joyce Report 19 Jul 2007 21:05

Hi Steph The wife is correct ... I have family papers that my Dad had. The children are correct on the 1881 census. I have been down the Dinah line ... she is the daughter of William and Ann born in Oxfordshire. I thought Henry could have been her uncle but the only one of her fathers brothers that I couldn't trace all the way through on the census's was 'Noah' and I drew a blank. I have his birth certificate but unfortunately there is no mention of henry as another name to try and confirm that they were one and the same person. The birth date for Noah is August 1842 and Henry according to my grandfathers book says Henry (his father) was Sept 1842! Some kind people have searched the Oxfordshire records for Noah's baptism ... to no avail. The whole thing is a mystery and driving me up the wall! Dinah has a brother called Henry but he is on 1871,1881,1891 & 1901 census. My Henry died Feb 1890. Hope that makes sense!