Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search on Genealogist

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teaky

Teaky Report 19 Jul 2007 17:24

Does anyone have a subscription to the Genealogist website that contains a searchable database of parish records? I'd love to be able to get a search on Ann(ie) Templeton who married John Wood on 2nd January 1893 at the Holy Trinity church in Darwen Lancashire. A lot of very helpful people on GR have suggested that there may have been a problem with the parish records. I'm trying to ascertain whether John Wood's father was James or Thomas. On the marriage certificate it says James but that doesn't fit with census returns, I'd like to be able to establish whether there might have been a mistaken in the transcription as Thomas and James can look quite similar. If anyone could help I would be very grateful regards Debs

Ivy

Ivy Report 19 Jul 2007 18:59

Did you obtain the marriage certificate from the General Register Office (the national listings?) If so, there is an intermediate step you can try if the parish records are unobtainable. On the Lancashire bmd's site there is a reference to this marriage as CE27/5/60. Go to this site: www.lancashirebmd.org.uk Search for 1893, Templeton, A, and it brings up the right marriage. The site will tell you how to apply for a copy of the locally held details, which hopefully will eliminate one stage of the transcription process.

Teaky

Teaky Report 19 Jul 2007 19:22

thanks Ivy that's a great tip much appreciated