Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am I expecting too much???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Jul 2007 21:45

I know similar things have been posted many times before, but would be interested to hear your opinions.I don't reply to nearly as many threads as lots of you do, and don't tend to look up census and BMD for people, but in areas where I have lots of knowledge, particularly military info, I try to help where I can. I find, though, that other people reply to threads, trying to be helpful, but not really knowing the answer, which I think confuses the person asking the question. Also, that often, people don't acknowledge a reply from me and just acknowledge people who give them very sketchy information. I sometimes think I'm being ignored, and in some cases have added to a thread asking in a roundabout way for MY reply to be acknowledged. Is that rude of me, or is it the person who wants the info being rude??

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Jul 2007 22:21

Ann I think that sometimes posts cross and the poster doesnt see your information because it is three posts up! This seems to happen a lot with census lookups, for instance. And yes, I do worry about misinformation being offered - with the best of motives, no doubt, but it is worrying and confusing for the person who asked for the information. If you have given a comprehensive reply and it is completely ignored, you could always delete it! Others do! OC

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Jul 2007 22:33

Thanks for your reply OC. Must admit, the delete option is very tempting!

Julie

Julie Report 18 Jul 2007 22:39

Hi Ann A similar thing happened to me on here but it wasn't military as i know nothing. I found them loads of bits, someone else came on also giving them a couple of answers. I got totally ignored so i deleted all my findings and that was about 10 postings Julie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Jul 2007 22:41

Thanks Julie for your comments.I sometimes think that people take note of what they want to hear,even if it's wrong, and ignore more accurate info.

Mary

Mary Report 18 Jul 2007 22:52

No Ann you are not being rude neither are you execting too much. I have done numerous lookups over the 3 years I have been a member and whilst most people answer replies and show their appreciation,unfortunately there are a few ,thankfully a minority that never respond. Last week I answered a request and sent the images for the relevant census years.A couple of days later a message appeared on a thread asking for information of one of the individuals found.Several members replied with results from various census years,thus repeating info that had already been supplied,and worse wasting members time who generously had spent time looking up information that was already known to the poster. Needless to say I shall be reluctant to help this indivdual in future. Mary

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 18 Jul 2007 22:57

Thanks Mary Some people have got no manners, and I agree, there are certain people I would not dream of helping again!