Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please Help Me Find Walter!! On the 1891 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 13:07

I am trying to find Walter Wilkinson on the 1891 census but seems to have disappeared! He was born c1863 in Manchester. On 1901 census he is registered with his wife Emily (27) (nee Brown),and children Adeline (10), May (2) and Thomas E (1) On 1881 census he is living with his parents James P (45), Amelia (46) and siblings James (20), Amelia (19), Emily (14), Sam (12), Jashua (7), Minnie (4). On 1891 census he has appeared to leave his parents home please help if you can!! Thanks

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2007 13:18

is this their marriage Marriages Sep 1897 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BROWN Emily Chorlton 8c 1368a WILKINSON Walter Chorlton 8c 1368a

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2007 13:27

If this is Adeline birth then she was born after the census Births Sep 1891 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WILKINSON Adeline Clementina Prestwich 8d 331 I think Emily might be Walters 2nd wife

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2007 13:29

1891 for Emily Emily J Brown Age: 17 Estimated birth year: abt 1874 Relation: Daughter Father's name: James A Mother's name: Harriet Gender: Female Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Rushulme Ecclesiastical parish: St John Town: Manchester County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Chorlton Sub-registration district: Ardwick ED, institution, or vessel: 38 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Emily J Brown 17 George H Brown 16 Hannah L Brown 18 Harriet Brown 49 Harriet Brown 22 Henry H Brown 19 James A Brown 51 James A N Brown 23 Mary B Brown 20

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 13:46

Hi Julie thanks for your help with this. Yes I think thats their marriage and birth of their child. I am pretty sure thats Emily with her parents in 1891 as it ties up with her brother living with them in 1901. No sign of Walter though!! He seems to have disappeared!! He is a 'lamp lighter' for the local corporation on the 1901 census xx

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 13:55

hi again Julie just noticed they got married long after their 1st child was born. Do you think Adeline had a different mum?

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2007 13:56

Kimberley I don't think Adeline is Emily's, if you get her B/C for parents name they might be easier to pick up in the 1891. Julie

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2007 13:58

Hi Yes i do on the 1891 Emily was working in a school and she was 17, if Adeline was hers she would of been pregnant, kind of like not seeing it happening if you know what i mean Julie

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 13:58

Thanks Julie I will send off for her birth cert today!

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2007 14:01

Kimberley please don't slap me if im wrong, but i would like to know Take care Julie

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 14:07

Lol! I have just noticed that Adeline was actually born in Fairfield (wherever that is!) and all the rest in Manchester so it is looking more like you are right! Thanks again....I have been looking at this for ages and its always good to have a fresh pair of eyes to point out the obvious!

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 14 Jul 2007 14:10

wonder if this is her moms death Alice Wilkinson abt 1865 1896 Oct-Nov-Dec Stockport Cheshire, Lancashire just guessing .poss marriage Walter Wilkinson 1885 Apr-May-Jun Chorlton Lancashire View Record Alice Wrigg 1885 Apr-May-Jun Chorlton Lancashire

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 14:14

Hi jenny fantastic...I will go and have a look for a Alice Wilkinson on the census

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 14:21

hi there the only problem with that is then Adeline must have been born 1st qrt 1891

Julie

Julie Report 14 Jul 2007 14:22

heres the 1891 for what Jennifer found Walter H Wilkinson Age: 30 Estimated birth year: abt 1861 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Alice Gender: Male Where born: Crewe, Cheshire, England Civil parish: Normanton Ecclesiastical parish: Normanton Town: Normanton County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Wakefield Sub-registration district: Sandal ED, institution, or vessel: 13 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Alice Wilkinson 27 Walter H Wilkinson 30

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 14 Jul 2007 14:25

DROYLSDEN, a township-chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Rochdale canal and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 4 miles E of Manchester. It includes the hamlet of Little Droylsden, and the villages of Fairfield and Clayton; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester the death in 1891 sound more like it,

Kimberley

Kimberley Report 14 Jul 2007 14:30

It says he was born in Crewe so it cant be him.On all other census records he was born in Manchester. He must have had Adeline with someone else and Fairfield/Prestwich seem close to match with the birth. If Alice is the mother then Adeline must have been born 1st qtr 1891 and hence show on the census? When were they conducted normally?