Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 or 1901 Census Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 12 Jul 2007 20:12

Hi. I have been trying to help a friend all afternoon to find her ancestor and having no joy at all and wondered if anyone would be able to help with a 2nd pair of eyes. Not much info unfortunately to go on so appreciate if no one can help. Details she gave me is Thomas Brookes who died aged 31 in ww1 in 1916 (verified on cwgc website - on thiepval memorial) husband of Agnes Mary nee Hooley who he married in 1914 Stockport. Thomas is the son of Noah and Louisa nee Taylor. Now I cannot find a Thomas with these parents on the 1891 or 1901 census or a marriage of Noah to Louisa. Unfortunately, do not know where Thomas or parents are born but believed to be Stockport. Regards Claire

Julie

Julie Report 12 Jul 2007 20:17

Claire Sorry can i just ask something, if Thomas's birth can't be found how does she know Thomas mum was called Louisa Julie

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 12 Jul 2007 20:29

this is the only thomas brookes i can see with a dad called noah but mother isnt louisa and not b lancs, Thomas Brookes Age: 2 Estimated birth year: abt 1889 Relation: Son Father's name: Noah Mother's name: Letitia Gender: Male Where born: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Civil parish: Dudley Ecclesiastical parish: St Andrews Town: Windmill End County/Island: Worcestershire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Dudley Sub-registration district: Dudley ED, institution, or vessel: 42 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Benjamin Brookes 9 Elijah Brookes 7 Elizabeth Brookes 11 Jane Brookes 4 Letitia Brookes 36 Noah Brookes 36 Sarah A Brookes 15 Thomas Brookes 2 Sarah Feakes 61 Thomas Feakes 24

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 12 Jul 2007 20:30

1901 Thomas Brookes Age: 12 Estimated birth year: abt 1889 Relation: Son Father's name: Noah Mother's name: Letitia Gender: Male Where born: Dudley, Worcestershire, England Civil parish: Dudley Ecclesiastical parish: St Andrew Town: Netherton County/Island: Worcestershire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Dudley Sub-registration district: Dudley ED, institution, or vessel: 38 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 251 Household Members: Name Age Alice Brookes 6 Benjamin Brookes 18 Elizah Brookes 16 Jane Brookes 14 John Brookes 9 Letitia Brookes 44 Letitia Brookes 3 Mary Brookes 8 Noah Brookes 44 Thomas Brookes 12 Sarah Feaks 71

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 12 Jul 2007 20:39

Hi Julie and Jennifer, I have questioned that as well to be honest, i think its what Thomas has passed down the family so they believe the parents to be noah and louisa. I have seen the Dudley family as well but discounted them for now as wife is Letitia and Not Louisa and the mil is there and surname is not Taylor. Also age of Thomas is about by 3/4 years. Many thanks for having a look for me. Regards Claire

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 12 Jul 2007 20:44

if he was 31 when he died in 1916 he would have been born abt 1884/5 .

Julie

Julie Report 12 Jul 2007 20:46

Claire Do you have any more details on his Death, like the whole date, im on there now Julie Ignore the above i found it

Julie

Julie Report 12 Jul 2007 20:51

Claire Is your friend assuming Stockport cos thats where they were living

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 12 Jul 2007 20:52

He is the man who died 13th Nov 1916 and husband of Agnes Mary of Small Street, Higher Hillgate, Stockport. Unfortunately doesnt give his parents info but did confirm his wife. I agree the birth year is 84/85c. Claire x

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 12 Jul 2007 20:53

i think your best bet is to buy thomas marriage cert which will confirm dads name.

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 12 Jul 2007 20:54

Yes, i think she is. Again belief is that they came from Stockport for a good few years back. I am thinking tht maybe they were not now! xx

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 12 Jul 2007 20:55

marriage Thomas Brookes Year of Registration: 1914 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep Spouse's Surname: Hooley DISTRICT: Stockport County: Cheshire, Lancashire Volume: 8a Page: 158 (click to see others on page) Agnes M Hooley 1914 Jul-Aug-Sep Brookes Stockport Cheshire,

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 12 Jul 2007 20:57

Hi, Yes thats the marriage registration. I think you are right now, will tell friend she is best buying the marriage cert to confirm that fathers name. Many thanks for both of your time. Claire x

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 12 Jul 2007 20:59

agnes parents Agnes M Hooley Age: 2 Estimated birth year: abt 1889 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Ann Gender: Female Where born: Warsop, Nottinghamshire, England Civil parish: Warsop Ecclesiastical parish: Warsop Town: Warsop County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Mansfield Sub-registration district: Warsop ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Agnes M Hooley 2 Ann Hooley 39 John Hooley 37 John W Hooley 8 Marid A Hooley 10 1891 ........... 1901 Agnes M Hooley Age: 12 Estimated birth year: abt 1889 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Annie Gender: Female Where born: Warsop, Nottinghamshire, England Civil parish: Warsop Ecclesiastical parish: Sookholme and Warsop St Peter and St Paul Town: Warsop County/Island: Nottinghamshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Mansfield Sub-registration district: Warsop ED, institution, or vessel: 3 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 18 Household Members: Name Age Agnes M Hooley 12 Annie Hooley 49 John Hooley 47 John W Hooley 18 William Hutchinson 21 she wasnt b stockport ..

jen yorkshire

jen yorkshire Report 12 Jul 2007 21:02

this is the marrige ref for noah and letitia? ive searched all noah,s with and without an e in brooks.countrywide, there is just one marrying a either an elizabeth taylor or an ellen brown . and then this one. Noah Brookes 1875 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire View Record Letitia Feakes 1875 Jan-Feb-Mar Dudley (To 1912) Staffordshire, Worcestershire

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 12 Jul 2007 21:11

Thank you for those Jennifer. the Hooley stuff is looking good and will pass to my friend. I think she needs to get a couple of certificates here on the brookes. Regards Claire x