Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 Census Durham look up please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moira

Moira Report 11 Jul 2007 18:20

Hi, still trying to sort out my Ann Eltringham Circa 1832, have found a marriage of John Eltringham and Ann Curtis in Gateshead in 1848, wondering if Curtis family are on 1841 census. Moira

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Jul 2007 18:32

This is all I could find: You have to remember that ages were not always accurate on 1841 Census and also the actual birth plave wasn't given only if born in county or not. You really need marriage cert to get her father's name. Though there is no father on this image. Ann senior's occ is 'Pot Seller' Ann Curtis Age: 15 Estimated birth year: abt 1826 Gender: Female Where born: Durham, England Civil parish: Sunderland Hundred: Sunderland Town County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Registration district: Sunderland Sub-registration district: West Sunderland Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Ann Curtis 45 Ann Curtis 15 Elizth Curtis 3 John Curtis 11 Margt Curtis 6 Mary Curtis 13 Robt Curtis 1 Wm Curtis 8 Dorothey Huy 55

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Jul 2007 07:42

Hi Moira, Have you tried Durhamrecordsonline(.)com there are two baptism and two 1841 census records listed which might help - Baptism Index Gateshead Ann Eltringham 1831 Baptism Index Gateshead Ann Eltringham 1831 1841 Census Gateshead Ann Eltringham abt 1831 1841 Y 1841 Census Gateshead Ann Eltringham abt 1831 1841 N The 'Y' indicates that one was born in that county and the other 'N' not in that county. Yvonne

Roger

Roger Report 12 Jul 2007 09:57

Have you got the marriage certificate of your John if so you will know the name of his wife and hopefully her father, ist is the only way of knowing if you have the right marriage Roger

Moira

Moira Report 12 Jul 2007 23:25

Thanks everyone for your replies. I only had Ann's son John Eltringham's marriage cert. to Alice Patterson in 1876 which stated father John Eltringham (deceased). When I requested his birth cert. Circa 1855 from Gateshead Reg. 0ffice they informed me they had an entry for a John Eltringham but there was no father's name. I was then trying to find 1851 Durham Census details listing John Eltringham and his wife Ann Circa 1830. Regards Moira

Moira

Moira Report 12 Jul 2007 23:47

Hi, is there a John Eltringham listed born Circa 1830 living with his parents in Greenside/Ryton/Winlaton area? Regards Moira