Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ABERDEEN-LOOK UP PLEASE!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 11 Jul 2007 08:28

Hi All Could one of you kind soles with access to scottish records please help clarify a family link in Aberdeen, I would be most grateful?. Details i have are as follows: GEORGE McAURLAND MUNRO(E) D/B 1832 ? St. Nicholas Aberdeen Married ? 27/08/1855? St. Nicholas. ANN STOCKWELL D/B 1834 ? St. Nicholas Aberdeen. If this is correct are the parents noted? Any records of their Date of birth/deaths? or children? any help would be welcome Thanking you in anticipation Brian A Walker

Juliet

Juliet Report 11 Jul 2007 10:03

Have found this if it is of any help: Ann Munro Age: 25 Estimated birth year: abt 1836 Relationship: Wife Gender: Female Where born: Maxwelltown, Dundee Registration Number: 168A Registration district: St Nicholas Civil parish: Aberdeen St Nicholas County: Aberdeenshire Address: Shaws Court 90 Gallowgate Occupation: Seaman's Wife ED: 44 Page: 17 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 108 Line: 21 Roll: CSSCT1861_25 Household Members: Name Age Alexander Munro 6 Mo Ann Munro 25 Henry S J Munro 4 John B Munro 6 Mo Name: George Munro Age: 29 Estimated birth year: abt 1832 Relation: Boastwain Gender: Male Where born: Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland Civil parish: Vessels Town: At Sea County/Island: Misc Ships At Sea or Abroad Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Misc Ships Sub-registration district: Misc Ships ED, institution, or vessel: McDonnell Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 1 Household Members: Name Age John George Dryden 41 Robert Dryden 30 George Munro 29 Henry Tucker 46 William Wells 27 Ann is on 1861 Scotland census George on England 1861 census. Hope they help. Juliet

Woody's

Woody's Report 11 Jul 2007 10:27

That's the correct date of marriage, Brian, and as it's an 1855 cert (first year of registration) there will be extra information on the cert - where they lived etc. All marriage certs after (and including) 1855 will have details of all parents inc. whether they are alive at time of marriage - with that info you have the potential to go back another possible 2 generations! Do you use scotlandspeople? If so then search with just the 2 surnames and enter Munro* for George's name as it's on IGI without the 'e'. Using an asterisk is like a wild card that picks up a variation in the spelling - I know there is a soundex option but I have discovered that it doesn't always give the desired result. If you do then try using 'direct download' as the viewer - the 1855 certs are really hard to read - if you still can't make it out, then save it to pictures and then open with 'paint'. Worth a try. If you can't get it or don't use SP then let me know. Do you use scotfamtree by the way? Lots of Scottish stuff on there.

alviegal

alviegal Report 11 Jul 2007 11:50

I found this on familysearch so you're correct with the date GEORGE MUNRO Pedigree Male Family Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: Marriages: Spouse: ANN STOCKWELL Family Marriage: 27 AUG 1855 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland Found this too, possibly a son? GEORGE MC AURLAND MUNRO Pedigree Male Event(s): Birth: 05 JUL 1858 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland Christening: Death: Burial: Parents: Mother: ANNIE MUNRO and thisGEORGE MUNRO Pedigree Male Event(s): Birth: 05 AUG 1857 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland Christening: Death: Burial: Parents: Father: GEORGE MUNRO Family Mother: ANN STOCKWELL

Brian

Brian Report 11 Jul 2007 12:43

Hi Elizabeth I am a little confused? 2 children named George 1857 & 1858? One with mothers name Stockwell the other Munro? both at St. Nicholas, cant work out if same family or not? Will have to dig deeper Many thanks for your help Brian

Brian

Brian Report 11 Jul 2007 12:52

Hi Juliet Not sure if those 2 are linked as i know the family in question had a son James Rbt Munro. Sept 1865 reg in london at St. George in the East 1c424 if i'm correct, so Ann would have come south with George?? Will have to see if i can confirm my initial details Many thank Brian

Brian

Brian Report 11 Jul 2007 13:08

Hi Woody Many thanks for your advice, I have never been north of the border in family research, so not familiar with Scotlandspeople, though i do know its very good for tracking. If when you get time you could have a look for me i would be very grateful. I am fairly new to all this, but enjoying the learning!! I'm sorry to say not very good on computers either,So as they say not the brightest pebble on the beach! Your assistance would be much appreciated Brian

alviegal

alviegal Report 11 Jul 2007 14:13

Hi Brian, I had a few credits left on Scotlandspeople so had a look at the marriage certificate. I must admit it was bugging me! Anyhow George Munro ,24, Seaman, batchelor, born & registered in Aberdeen, son of George Munro (deceased) andJean Joss? and Ann Stockwell ,22, domestic servant, spinster, born in Aberdeen, daughter of James Stockwell(deceased) and unknown Stockwell. James was a Labourer. George snr was an Officer of Excise. As for the two earlier births, i thought the older one might have died in infancy. Liz

Woody's

Woody's Report 11 Jul 2007 14:26

I did the same, Elizabeth!!! Never mind! Jean's m.s. was definitely Joss; George was 24, lived at 4 Justice Lane. Ann was born in Aberdeen, age is 22,17 Queen St. There could well be a record at NAS for George snr.

Brian

Brian Report 11 Jul 2007 19:21

Elizabeth/Woody Many thanks for your efforts, I had to leave my searching for a few hours this afternoon, I very much appreciate your efforts and now have some answers, and can fill a couple of holes thanks again Brian