Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Deaths -Edinburgh area

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 11 Jul 2007 07:01

Hi there Does anyone have access to Scottish death records? Looking for the death of my aunt Jane Evelyn WINTERTON between 1887 and 1891 in the Leith/Edinborough area Thanks Michael W.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Jul 2007 08:54

Are those dates correct as nothing showing on ScotlandsPeople. Do you mean 1987? If so you need to contact the General Register Office for Scotland. Maureen

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 11 Jul 2007 09:17

No Maureen - I mean 1887! Thanks anyway.

Matthew

Matthew Report 11 Jul 2007 09:35

On Scotlands People, there is one match for a Jane Winterton's death in 1886 in Edinburgh but this is only when soundex is applied so her last name may have been spelt incorrectly. Hope this helps! Matthew

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 11 Jul 2007 09:35

Thanks Matthew. I have her birth certificate and she was born on 2/5/1887 in South Leith - she may have died in infancy , but 1886 is a little early!

Woody's

Woody's Report 11 Jul 2007 10:38

The 1886 one might also be correct if there was an earlier child by the same name - it was common practice to name a baby after a deceased sibling. However, what makes you think she died? Is it because you can't find her on the 1891 census - did you check grandparents?

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 11 Jul 2007 10:56

Yes Woody. Her parents married on 10/3/1886 in North Leith. The only evidence of this child is her birth certificate- she does not appear on any Scottish or English census or in any English BMD after this date, If any one else would like to have a look, her parents are Charles George Winterton born 1859 Cambridge and Mary Jane Williamson born 1864 either Scalloway Shetland or Orkney. As she was my father's half sister I know there were no other siblings - my father always told me that mother and daughter both 'drowned in Ireland'- that certainly was not the case with the mother as she died in London in 1897. Thanks Michael

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Jul 2007 11:21

1891 I presume this is the family Name: Charles G Winterton Age: 31 Estimated birth year: abt 1860 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Mary J Gender: Male Where born: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England Civil parish: Greenwich Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Greenwich Sub-registration district: Greenwich East ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Charles G Winterton 31 Mary J Winterton 26 Sealloway - should this be Scalloway

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 11 Jul 2007 11:32

Yes Glitter - thats my family.

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 12 Jul 2007 02:34

nudged

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Jul 2007 11:54

I have nudged this post as I spent most of last night/morning trying to find the death of this child, found the birth on SP but not the death. Maybe someone can help because I was stumped, I tried every which way but nothing.. Betty

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 12 Jul 2007 12:25

Thanks so much for your help Betty, I really appreciate it! Maybe she really did die in Ireland, although I have no evidence that the family ever went there.