Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please I'm so confused Scotland census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 9 Jul 2007 22:21

Hi I have found out that my grt grt granddad Edward Lynch married Jane Neil in Hutchinsontown Glasgow 1861. It is Jane's side of the family I'm trying to trace. Jane was born abt 1831. Her father was Alexander Neil and mother Janet, I got the info from Scotland people but the image is very bad to read. There is no maiden name for the mother on the image it just says mother Janet Neil deceased. I have looked on the Scotland 1861 census records and found Jane along with her Father and also grandchildren named Lynch living at the same address. But I am unable to find them on antother census. Would appreciate any help Janet

June

June Report 9 Jul 2007 22:37

1841 census maybe Name: Alex Neil Age: 35 Estimated birth year: abt 1806 Gender: Male Where born: Scotland Civil parish: Aberdour County: Fife Address: Cuttle Hilly Tile Work Occupation: Superintendant Parish Number: 401 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age John Ainslie 25 Andrew Neid 4 Geo Neid 5 Alex Neil 35 Alex Neil 10 James Neil 10 Jane Neil 10 Janet Neil 35 John Neil 2 Robt Neil 15 John Quartin 20 June x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 Jul 2007 22:44

1861 is this the entry ? Name: Jane Neil Age: 30 Estimated birth year: abt 1831 Relationship: Daughter Father's name: Alexander Gender: Female Where born: Inverkeithny, Fifeshire Registration Number: 671 Registration district: Torphichen Civil parish: Torphichen County: West Lothian Address: Crawhill Lodge ED: 3 Page: 2 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 7 Line: 6 Roll: CSSCT1861_121 Household Members: Name Age Robert Bain 10 Helen Lynch 5 John Lynch 1 Sarah Lynch 3 Alexander Neil 62 Brickmaker, Duddington Andrew Neil 24 Inverkeithney Jane Neil 30 Peter Neil 16 Aberdour

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 Jul 2007 22:49

1851 poss Name: Alexr Neill Age: 52 Estimated birth year: abt 1799 Relationship: Head Spouse's name: Janet Gender: Male Where born: Duddingstone, Midlothian Parish Number: 293 Civil parish: Inverkeilor Town: Leys Mill County: Angus Address: Leys Mill Occupation: Brickmaker ED: 5 Page: 25 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 55 Line: 18 Roll: CSSCT1851_65 Household Members: Name Age Alexr Neill 52 Alexr Neill 19 Andrew Neill 14 George Neill 16 Jane Neill 21 Janet Neill 50 John Neill 11 Peter Neill 7 1841 I believe is the family already posted

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 9 Jul 2007 22:59

Thanks Girls I have seen the 1841 census and tried to link the mother Janet with the children on the IGI by looking at births. I can get a match with Alex Neil (1831) and James Neil (1827) to a Janet Dickson/Dixon but not the other children. That is why I am confused when finding info. I know for sure that the 1861 census is the right match because of the Lynch connection. I have even tried to look up deaths for Janet Dickson but having no luck. Thanks for your help Janet

Nessie56

Nessie56 Report 9 Jul 2007 23:09

Hi Glitterbaby The 1851 census you found looks very promising, most of the childrens names match. The slight variation in people's name gets me every time and throws me in the wrong direction. It's happened with three of my relatives so far. I can narrow Janet's death down to 10 years now. You have been a big help Janet