Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice needed re a medal from Parachute Regiment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 5 Jul 2007 21:39

As I cannot post a picture on here i will have to describe the medal. It is on a blue ribbon.has a leaf type badge (possibly acorn) and the main medal looks like it has a queens head on it. My dad was in the para's late 60's early 70's. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Fi

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Jul 2007 22:13

I can't help myself but found this address by googling. Maybe someone there could help you:- Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency (Joint Personnel Administration Centre) MOD Medal Office Building 250 RAF Innsworth Gloucester GL3 1HW JPAC Enquiry Centre: Tel: 0141 224 3600 Kath. x

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 5 Jul 2007 22:14

Thanks Kathleen, I have already sent for his service records which I believe are at Glasgow. These will take some months. I am just trying to solve it before I receive them. Fi

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 5 Jul 2007 22:26

The Regiment has a website - Google it. You could email them and ask.

Keith

Keith Report 6 Jul 2007 08:56

A oak leaf on the ribbons could mean Mention in Despatches. If you try the Tank Museum web site, it will show you examples. Keith

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 6 Jul 2007 11:21

If this is the same question asked on RootsChat, check your thread there have been several replies. Genereal Service Medal, probabaly Borneo and the Oak Leaf is Mentioned in Dispatches. Jennifer

Pete

Pete Report 6 Jul 2007 11:43

If you want to see examples of the various medal ribbons see: http://www.worldmedals*co*uk/Rib/Britrib/britribb.htm Also, take a look on the reverse and around the edge of the medal, you may find details engraved there.

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 6 Jul 2007 18:38

Thank you everyone for your help on this issue. yes I did post it on Roots chat too and yes I have found the answer now. Thank you all. Fi

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 8 Jul 2007 18:12

Geoff you are Great. I have messaged you back!!!!! Fi x