Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

<b> Boarder or Lodger<b/>

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 15:02

What is the difference between a boarder and a lodger in Scottish 1901 census. I have a Mary Carney who is down in the census as a Lodger, this has been crossed out and Boarder added. So whats the difference? Betty

Sam

Sam Report 5 Jul 2007 15:12

A lodger just rents a room whereas a boarder gets meals as well, bed and board: Definition Of Terms Used On Census Returns - England & Wales 1841-1891 Boarder - a person who shares the dinner table with the family. Lodger - a person who has separate accommodation to the householder. Sam x

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 15:15

Oh Whats happened to Louise's message, has she deleted it? Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 15:16

Hi Louise and Sam, Thanks for your reply. I am trying to find out if this person was a relative of the family or just someone who stayed there. Still not sure though. Sam this is Scotland though not England. Betty

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 15:29

no computer playing up i thought a border was someone passing through not for any lengh of time and a lodger is a perminent fixture

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 5 Jul 2007 15:37

I agree with Sam, those are the correct definitions. Boarders, lodgers and visitors are always worth investigating, as it is not unusual for other family members to be described in this way. Jennifer

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 15:51

Hi Louise and Jennifer, I just wondered if it was the same in Scotland as England because I am trying to find out if this boarder (my grandmother) is related to this family in some way. Betty

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 16:17

my granny thinks so. she is from selkirk in scotland

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 16:25

Hi Louise, Thanks for the info from your granny. Betty

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 16:25

noprobs she enjoys the extra calls bless her

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 16:28

Hi Louise, You are so lucky to still have your granny, mine died when I was was about 11/12 years of age, if only I had asked her more questions I wouldn't have to be searching her family from Ireland now. Betty

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 16:31

well in truth its my hubbys granny my grandparent all died when i was little bar one and he cant remember anything useless man so in same boat struggling as both sides of my family are irish only my parent born in england

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 16:37

Hi Louise, I didn't ask my mother anything either, its her mother who came from Ireland. My mum and dad have pased over too so I am lost just as you are with my Irish grandmother, been searching for years without any luck. Betty

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 16:43

its such a shame people wernt interested in there ancesters years ago. have you been to the gro in dublin ? i think that is where i will have to go

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 5 Jul 2007 18:36

Hi Louise, I can't go to the GRO in Ireland or anywhere else, I look after my husband who is very ill, I really would never be able to go out at anywhere. Do all my searching on the computer only, many kind people like Mhairi have helped with lookups for me at Edinburgh if they were not available online. Betty

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥ Report 6 Jul 2007 08:56

well when i go to ireland ill let you know and you can give me some info