Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births registered twice.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moggie

Moggie Report 4 Jul 2007 19:06

Hi I am sure this question has cropped up before on the boards. I have 2 sisters registered in 1947 and 1949. They are both registered again in 1963.Nothing seems to have changed, same surname and same mother's maiden name. Any ideas why this was done. Events too recent to give names. Thanks Maureen

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 4 Jul 2007 19:17

Perhaps the first registration was a bit of a fib and the parents weren't married, just pretending to be married. The second registration suggests this was a legitimatisation of the births. You would need to see the first birth certs to see what was different about them. OC

Moggie

Moggie Report 5 Jul 2007 17:56

Thank you O C for your suggestion about the parents not being married. I was thinking along the same lines myself. I have now found that one of the sisters was also registered with the mothers surname and against the entry it also says see Mar 1963.I know who their father was and have looked for a marriage between him and the girls mother but found nothing.I have worked backwards from the Mar qtr 1963 up to 1947. I can only surmise that mum and dad popped up to Scotland for a quiet wedding and if that was the case I have no way of getting a marriage certificate. Regards Maureen

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 5 Jul 2007 19:22

Hi, i too have this problem with two of my family members.One is my mum born in 1949 and has a written entry for her birth in this year Q4 and see D'51. My uncles one is the similar however both are typed. In my mums case her birth wasn't registered till 1951.She was in care and was to be adopted ,however it was found she had no legal papers so the council did it.The same for my uncle as well.He was born in 1947. however his area of birth has changed and the person who registared his birth got his mums first name wrong. We now are wondering as to wherever we could get hold of the first entry ,but it hasn't got a page number just see D'47 . Tina