Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ship from England to Toronto 28/11/1901. Allan Lin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 4 Jul 2007 14:40

Any ideas how I can find the name of this ship and if I can search the passenger lists please.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Jul 2007 14:46

Could really do with a surname or the port they left from. Can search by ship if you knew the name of it Maureen

Irene

Irene Report 4 Jul 2007 14:50

Do not know any more Maureen. Have some paperwork that shows my grandfather's brother Alexander Ford was going to sail on a ship on the 28th November 1901 bound for Toronto from London. He was travelling from London. The previous time he went from Liverpool to Toronto so he could have travelled to Liverpool from London 1901 then boarded a ship. It does mention that he is travelling via Allan Line. Thanks Irene

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Jul 2007 14:52

http://www(.)theshipslist(.)com/ships/lines/allan(.)html Found this site about the Allan Line - remove brackets Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Jul 2007 14:53

Not getting any results on Findmypast using 1900 - 1902, surname of Ford, travelling to Toronto Maureen

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Jul 2007 14:58

I can't really help other than to say that the ship wouldn't have gone to Toronto. He probably disembarked at Montreal or Quebec City, Margaret

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Jul 2007 15:03

There is an A Ford male age 19 sailed to Canada St John Nb in 1901 from Liverpool Maureen Name: A FORD Date of departure: 12 December 1901 Port of departure: Liverpool Passenger destination port: Saint John Nb, Canada Passenger destination: Saint John Nb, Canada Age 19 Single Occupation - Lab Ship - Parisian Steamship Line - Allan Line Passengers on voyage 139

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 4 Jul 2007 15:19

The Times advertises a sailing to Halifax and St John on 28/11/1901. Ship is the Tunisian, run by Allan Line. Doesn't give port of departure though.

Irene

Irene Report 4 Jul 2007 15:21

Thank you both for all your help. Yes looking again at the paperwork the first time he travelled to Quebec but was destined for Toronto so I expect he travelled the same way a 2nd time. He was shipped to Canada by barnardos.He was born 1881. Around October 1901 he returned to England (to visit his family I presume) then returned back to Canada 28/11/1901. The person you found could well be him. Regards and many thanks Irene

Irene

Irene Report 4 Jul 2007 15:23

Well done Ann looks like the right date. I wonder if I could find when he travelled from Canada to Liverpool/London. Regards and thanks Irene

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Jul 2007 15:24

Findmypast gives the ship Tunisian sailing 28th November 1901 Liverpool to St John Nf and 29th November 1901 from Londonderry to St Johns Nb

Irene

Irene Report 4 Jul 2007 15:33

Thank you very much Glitter Baby. I appreciate your help. Regards Irene

Karen

Karen Report 6 Jul 2007 00:29

Irene, You've probably already seen this on collectionscanada but this looks to be your chap when he sailed the first time around: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FORD , Alexander Age: 10 Sex: M Year of arrival: 1892 Microfilm reel: C-4538 Ship: SS Mongolian Port of departure: Liverpool Departure Date: 23 Jun 1892 Port of arrival: Quebec Arrival Date: 4 Jul 1892 Party: Dr. Barnardo's Destination: See Comments Comments: 121 boys destined for Toronto, Ontario and the North West. Of the 121 boys; Albert E.H. FORREST, L. JACKSON, Frederick H. SALTER, Albert CAREY, William H. TURNER and Henry B. CLARK were deleted. You can also see the actual papers online...but there isn't much info on them... Karen

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jul 2007 01:01

Do you think this is him on the 1901 Canadian census? Proof page says that he was born in England but I can't see the year of immigration, it's off the page. He's living in Ontario, Grey East, sub-district Euphrasia. McKenzie John M Head M Apr 15 1823 77 McKenzie Jane F Wife M Jul 4 1833 67 McKenzie William J. M Son S Jan 2 1865 36 McKenzie Elizabeth J. F Daughter S Apr 2 1867 36 McKenzie Catherine C. F Daughter M Dec 12 1874 26 McKenzie Eliza F Sister S May 15 1828 72 Ford Alexander M Servant S Dec 15 1882 18

Irene

Irene Report 6 Jul 2007 07:57

Thank you Margaret all I have on him is the first entry in his notes from Barnardos is that in 1892 he is boarded out with Mr. W.G. Stimpson, Allansville. Ontario and 1896 he worked for R C Johnston, Rocklyn where he was going to be employed until April 1899 so not sure about your entry. Thanks and regards Irene