Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War Widows Place of Birth ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dennis

Dennis Report 1 Jul 2007 18:13

Son of Charles Francis and Ruth Mary Moore; husband of Irene Madeline Moore, of Southsea, Hampshire, England. The above was taken from the Commonwealth Graves Commision site, Mum's uncle was killed in 1945 she never knew he was married, I don't know Irene's maiden name but was she :- Born in Southsea ? Living in Southsea ? or did they marry in Southsea ? He was a Royal Marine so would have been stationed in that area at some time I guess. What do you think ?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 1 Jul 2007 18:41

'of Southsea' just means that is where she was living at the time, or where her permanent address was, I should say. OC

Joan

Joan Report 1 Jul 2007 21:18

Hi, Looks like you will have to trawl the marriage indexes for the marriage of your great uncle (? name) to an Irene Madeline ?. If you have a approx date of birth for your greatuncle someone may be able to help search. I am willing for a little while. Best wishes Joan

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Jul 2007 22:41

Arthur Moore (died age 37) matches the details given above

Joan

Joan Report 1 Jul 2007 23:15

Will take a look tomorrow and let you know, Joan

Joan

Joan Report 2 Jul 2007 09:08

What would the registration district of Southsea, Hampshire be ? Joan

juma

juma Report 2 Jul 2007 09:28

Comes under Portsmouth and there are three registrations for an Arthur Moore in 1907/8 all with 2nd names. Those being Charles, George or Henry. Do you know your Arthur's 2nd name.? Julie

Joan

Joan Report 2 Jul 2007 09:33

Morning Julie, I am trying to help while I have a couple of hours to spare. Looks like Arthur was born in 1907/1908 and I am looking for a marriage possibly from 1927 onwards. As Dennis did not know of this relative being married it is going to be a long trawl ! Will keep updated, Joan

Joan

Joan Report 2 Jul 2007 10:24

Dennis, I have FOUND IT ! Arthur Moore married Irene M Keating July-September 1937 Portsmouth 2b 1484 Best wishes Joan

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Jul 2007 10:26

Oooh, well done Joan! OC

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Jul 2007 11:18

Perhaps her birth ?? Births Sep 1912 KEATING Irene M.. (mmn. Osgood) ... Portsmouth 2b 927 Gwyn

Joan

Joan Report 2 Jul 2007 11:28

That looks good Gwyn. I have looked for Moore births with mmn Keating 1938 and 1939 but none yet. Then there's the start of the war. Joan

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Jul 2007 11:31

Well done girls. Maureen

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Jul 2007 11:40

Maybe Irene later remarried and that's why her 1st husband's family lost touch. Is that the next quest? Gwyn

Joan

Joan Report 2 Jul 2007 11:45

Possibly Gywn. I like a challenge don't you ? But where's Dennis ? I would like to find a birth of a child to Arthur and Irene but have to go to hospital in 2 hours. Will catch up later, Joan

Joan

Joan Report 2 Jul 2007 16:52

n for Dennis

Dennis

Dennis Report 2 Jul 2007 19:37

Thanks girls I work long hours at night, I get out of bed & see that you done a wonderful job for me, many thanks, I will send for a wedding cert. There is still the mystery of how he died, mum was told that he was killed in an air raid, there were raids on Australia but I have not found any mention of one that far south (Sydney) or that late in the war (feb 1945) one again many thanks.

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 2 Jul 2007 19:39

well done-nudging for dennis!-great results-I enjoyed the read!