Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

After what I thought was success....a brick wall..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Abigail

Abigail Report 25 Jun 2007 14:08

Hi all, I am relatively new to all this, and I am trying to trace relatives of my partner. I have the information as follows of his paternal grandfather- robert william wylie, born in queensland australia in 1919, married primrose constance may clarke in England in 1940. Had 2 children Allan and Barry. I am trying to find out if firstly robert is still alive(he is believed to have last been living in Australia) secondly if Allan is still alive and thirdly of any offspring or relatives of the two brothers. My partners father(Barry) is still alive in his 60's but he will not talk about his father or brother, it is believed that robert left constance to return to Australia when Barry was still young. If anyone can give me anything to go on or any advice I would be eternally grateful. Abi.

Mystified

Mystified Report 25 Jun 2007 20:42

I do not know a lot about Australian registers but perhaps a request on here for someone to look for a death of the grandfather. Bear in mind this would take quite a bit of time. (Do not know if the registers are online.) Now regards Alan, do you know when he was born? You need to find this, then add about 21 years or so to his age and start to look for a marriage and then any offspring. Again this takes quire a bit of time. You can search online at http://www*ancestry*co*uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd*aspx (replace the * with a dot as GR won't accept dots) You have to register but it is free. Each year is divided into to quarters and you have to look at each one. Say 10 minutes a year, so you can see it is a trawl but may well be worth it. I once trawled 50 years before I found what I was looking for but worthwhile in the end. Also there may have been more children. Perhaps Constance remarried and had more children Email me if you need more help Good Luck

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 25 Jun 2007 22:33

Hi Abi. Sent you a PM. Malcolm.

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 25 Jun 2007 23:14

Hi Abigail There's no death notice for in the Ryerson Index, but that's not definitive. Most states don't publish death indexes later than 1975, but Ryerson indexes newspaper notices, but not every paper, and if he had no rellies here, it may not have got published. I can look on the current Australian Electoral Roll for Robert Wylie. Will only give name and address, but its a start. As he was born here, its more likely he will be listed than if he was born in England. Do you think he returned to Queensland ? Will start there anyway. However, a provisio, some very old and infirm people in nursing homes dont get on the Electoral Roll. Will get back to you later - I have to go to the Electoral Office and look up the computer, but it only takes 5 minutes. Di

Wendy

Wendy Report 25 Jun 2007 23:51

I have looked for a death of Robert William Wylie on the NSW index 1940-1976 without success. There is a William Robert Wylie who died 1944 in Ryde district, s/o Robert and Margaret? Do you know his parents?

Sue from Perth Oz

Sue from Perth Oz Report 26 Jun 2007 03:11

Hi If you order the marr cert the fathers names should be on it Robert W Wylie Oct-Dec Volume 4a Page 3049 Colchester I have looked from 1940-50 and can not find a birth for Allan found Barry's 1942 Cheers Sue

Abigail

Abigail Report 26 Jun 2007 14:06

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far, as I have said to malcom, I am really touched by how helpful and supportive everyone is, and its really paying off so far!! Keep it coming guys, and a big hug to everyone who has contacted me so far!! Abi. x