Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone visiting the Record Office with time on the

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 24 Jun 2007 23:08

Hello. Thank you in advance. I am seeking several family tree avenues... and if you can help me with anyone I shall be happy. The relatives I could ask information from are so old now, they have trouble recalling facts and have lead up 'one way streets'. Family: - 1. Rosalind Daphne Smith married William James A Port 1957 I would love to have details of any brothers and sisters of the above (I already know 'their' children, but cousins are a mystery). I seek parents and uncles and aunts of the above - some on the male Port's were in service, Navy I think. 2. Also, Daisy K Boorman married Louis Charles Preen, I think in 1915. Any sisters, brothers, cousins, parents etc etc would be appreciated; I am happy for ANY information, until I can get to London myself. 3. Any Austin/Austen connection - Sheppey, Faversham etc. Relatives I have heard about live in Prince Charles Avenue, and Worster Close. There was one who ran a Newagent in Faversham, and there may even be a Duchal connection about 60 years back (not via my direct family line unfortunatly, being 'on the poor' side of the family, ha ha). known fact; Hazel Austin married John Turner around 1971. Had two brothers and two sisters. Family information sensative as I was adopted, so don't want to go sniffing about with 'the relatives' just yet.

Georgina

Georgina Report 24 Jun 2007 23:15

This is Daisy's birth reference and the 1901 census... Births Sep 1895 (>99%) Boorman Daisy Kathleen Elham 2a 1033 1901 census... Name: Daisy Boorman Age: 6 Estimated birth year: abt 1895 Relation: Daughter Father's name: Benjamin Mother's name: Kate E Gender: Female Where born: Folkestone, Kent, England Civil parish: Folkestone Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary and St Eanswyth Town: Folkestone County/Island: Kent Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Elham Sub-registration district: Folkestone ED, institution, or vessel: 5 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 93 Household Members: Name Age Benjamin Boorman 46 Bernice Boorman 21 Daisy Boorman 6 Edward Boorman 13 Johne Boorman 13 Joseph Boorman 3 Kate E Boorman 43 Louis Boorman 19 Thirza Boorman 19 Her father Benjamin was a Builder labourer & they were living at 29 Bradstone Road. Georgina.

Jane

Jane Report 24 Jun 2007 23:39

WOW. Thanks Georgina, that was quick. How come you got the information so quickly? I knew I had a lot of Great Uncles and Aunt's but they 'went' before I came on the scene; except Thurza I was in awe of her when I was little as she looked so much like my Gran; next best thing, if you know what I mean.. I would like to press for more information, but that would be rude. Thanks again. TTFN Jane p.s. Sorry, got to ask, are there any details of marriages that you can access as one elderly relative told me her great-grandfather was French (he would have been a Preen too; and I have noted some family members sign with an 'e' at the end of their name too. Gosh, I am exited. My first real bit of news. It's great!

Georgina

Georgina Report 24 Jun 2007 23:41

Jane as you already know Louis Preen married Daisy in 1915, I cant see a birth reference for Louis & I cant see him on the 1901 census so he was probably the French connection. If you send for the marriage certificate it will give you his fathers name & occupation. Marriages Mar 1915 (>99%) Boorman Daisy K Preen Elham 2a 1946 Gerday Lea M A Raskin Elham 2a 1946 Preen Louis C Boorman Elham 2a 1946 Raskin Joan P J G[eo]rday Elham 2a 1946 Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 24 Jun 2007 23:51

This looks like Daisy's parents marriage so her mother was Kate Elizabeth Cloke. Marriages Sep 1875 (>99%) BOORMAN Benjamin N. Aylesford 2a 678 CLOKE Kate Elizabeth N. Aylesford 2a 678 Knowles Samuel Alfred N. Aylesford 2a 678 Lewis Celistia N.Aylesford 2a 678 Georgina.

Jane

Jane Report 25 Jun 2007 00:10

Thank you, again, for your help. Can I ask, being new to searching - you've got more information than I've managed so far... the names listed with the married couple, are they the witnesses? You must get a lot of satisfaction doing this for people. I am very happy so helped me. All the best Jane

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 25 Jun 2007 00:15

its other people that were married on the same day and place as each other. They are transcribed from bmd indexes and is complete free to search and to get results. The website is www(.)freebmd(.)org(.)uk *remove brackets* they are transcribed from volunteers so the site doesn't have the full database. If you go to www(.)ancestry(.)co(.)uk *remove brackets* you can get a free registered account and view the full completed bmd indexes but unfortunately you have to go through them year by year and quarter by quarter, which can be time consuming. The indexes only give you the quarter of when the birth was registered and is not the exact date of birth beside them it gives you the reference so that you can order certificates. Nicola

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 25 Jun 2007 00:20

You can also go to the LDS (Later Day Saints) website at www(.)familysearch(.)org on there you can do a free search and get results for the 1881 census and parish records. For parish records they are not all on there, but some are. If you want to view more parish records then you could go to the nearest LDS, you can find out where the nearest one to you is on the site, and view the microfilms. I forgot to mention that on ancestry you can view the 1881 census as well for free, but all the other census's you have to pay for unfortunately. Although if you go to the USA site at www(.)ancestry(.)com and log in with you UK account do a search of the census records and then click on a locked page you can have a free 3 day trial with ancestry and have full use of the site on both USA and UK, and you don't have to give your credit card details. Nicola