Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1920 United States census lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie

Maggie Report 24 Jun 2007 10:31

Would anyone with access to Ancestry.com be able to look up a 1920 census record for me please, and send a copy of the image? The man in question is William Moyes, born in 1882 in Cornwall. He is listed as being in Silver Bow, Montana. I'd be very grateful. Thanks, Maggie

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jun 2007 10:55

You can get 3 days free access to ancestry*com/ with all the UK and USA records yourself. Go to the website, enter a search and it will offer you the free trial. (Replace asterisk with full stop)

Maggie

Maggie Report 24 Jun 2007 11:07

Hi Heather I already have a UK membership of Ancestry and however I try (I've even tried from work on a different computer!) I cannot get the 3 days free offer. I saw the other thread on the tips board and tried all the ways recommended on there with no success. Maggie

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 18:00

Hi Maggie: I can't send the image (long story), but here's the information: 1920 United States Federal Census about William Moyes Name: William Moyes Home in 1920: Precincts 65 and 67, Silver Bow, Montana Age: 38 years Estimated birth year: abt 1882 Birthplace: Canada Relation to Head of House: Cousin Father's Birth Place: Canada Mother's Birth Place: Canada Marital Status: Married Race: White Sex: Male Year of Immigration: 1884 Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 53 Household Members: Name Age Holly Moyes 56 William Moyes 38 William: miner, copper mine I cannot read the street address, but further down the page a possible cross street is 2200 block of 'Cottonwood(?)' 1920 United States Federal Census about Holly Moyes Name: Holly Moyes Home in 1920: Precincts 65 and 67, Silver Bow, Montana Age: 56 years Estimated birth year: abt 1864 Birthplace: Canada Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: Canada Mother's Birth Place: Canada Marital Status: Single Race: White Sex: Male Home owned: Rent Year of Immigration: 1883 Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 53 Household Members: Name Age Holly Moyes 56 William Moyes 38 Holly's occupation: gardener, Private(?) _____ (cannot read) PS I tried to log on for free access once and could not do it (imagine it was my wonderful computer knowledge!), so if there is anything else that I may help you with, please feel free to ask. I cannot send images, however. Sorry.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Jun 2007 18:24

That cousin Holly Moyes should be on the Canadian 1881 census but I can't find him/her. Incidentally, Maggie, I can't get the 3 free days either! Margaret

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 18:35

Margaret, is there anything that I may look up for you? (I know the frustration of not being able to log on to things.) ;) I am waiting for my family, as we're leaving soon, but if there's something that I can look up either now or later, I'd be happy to.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 18:38

The 1920 image is very poor. Perhaps it's not Moyes?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 24 Jun 2007 18:51

Apparently not your WIlliam? 1900 United States Federal Census Census Name: William Moyes Birth: abt 1876 - Canada English Arrival: 1887 Residence: 1900 - Lewiston, Androscoggin, Maine

Maggie

Maggie Report 24 Jun 2007 22:39

Hi Lisa Thank you so much for looking for me - I really appreciate it. It looks like another William though. Although the age and name fit my William was married to Anetta Perkin (in Cornwall in 1912). He popped in and out of the States for a while, finally becoming naturalized in June 1920 in Butte City, Silver Bow, Montana - that's why I thought it was him. He was also a copper miner. As far as I know there was no uncle in the States at that time. I have no idea who Holly is either! William died in Los Angeles in 1954 and Anetta in 1966 - I found them both on the 1930 census. Thanks again Maggie

Maggie

Maggie Report 24 Jun 2007 22:41

Hi Margaret Thanks for letting me know you can't get the 3 days - I thought I was being extremely thick and it's reassuring to discover that I'm not the only person who can't access the freebie. Maggie