Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do i find out who his parent was?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯)

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯) Report 23 Jun 2007 18:42

I need a bit of help here please. On the 1881 census i have Willie J Browitt bc 1874 Brighton Sussex, he is listed as the grandson.... how do i find out who his parent is? Not sure of any details of birth so can't send for cert yet.. or can i send for the cert on the bit of info i have? Thanks in advance Jean

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jun 2007 18:44

For reference... Name: Willie J. Browitt Age: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1874 Relation: Grandson Gender: Male Where born: Brighton, Sussex, England Civil parish: Brighton County/Island: Sussex Country: England Street address: 8 Elden Pl Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Scholar Registration district: Brighton Sub-registration district: St Peter ED, institution, or vessel: 43 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Browitt 57 Emma Browitt 29 Frederick Browitt 18 Joseph Browitt 56 Susan Browitt 21 Willie J. Browitt 7

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯)

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯) Report 23 Jun 2007 18:49

Thanks for that Gwyneth, Not sure how to find out who Willie's parents were though. Regards Jean

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jun 2007 18:53

I wonder if this is him on freebmd I'llcheck on Ancestry in a minute Births Sep 1873 Brouitt, Willie Hodder .... Brighton 2b 236 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gwyn UPDATE Same record on Ancestry

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯)

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯) Report 23 Jun 2007 18:55

Thanks for your time and help Gwn, much appreciated...... I have to go offline for a while but will be back soon. Thanks again Jean

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Jun 2007 19:01

Strong possibility he was one of the daughters illegitimate children. The 29 year old is the one i would guess. You need his birth cert

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jun 2007 19:03

I looked for Willie in 1891 on the off chance that he was with his mother. I couldn't see him ....but there was a Willie HODDER of the right age. His father was George HODDER with wife Mary There is this marriage on freebmd Marriages Dec 1874 Berridge Jesson Brighton 2b 482 >>Brouitt Mary Ann Brighton 2b 482 >>Hodder George Brighton 2b 482 Horigan Jeremiah Brighton 2b 482 Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jun 2007 19:10

George and Mary Ann in 1881 Name: George Hodder Age: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1844 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Mary A. Gender: Male Where born: Wyford, Hampshire, England Civil parish: Brighton County/Island: Sussex Country: England Street address: 51 Tidy Street Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Gas Meter Inspector Registration district: Brighton Sub-registration district: St Peter ED, institution, or vessel: 55 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Annie E. Hodder 3 Florence M. Hodder 12 George Hodder 37 Mary A. Hodder 32 Rose M. Hodder 4 Tery M. Hodder 1 It would seem that they have several young children so perhaps that's why Willie was with his grandparents. Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jun 2007 19:17

Probably George with his previous wife in 1871.....he is a gas meter inspector Name: George Hodder Age: 27 Estimated birth year: abt 1844 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Rachael Gender: Male Where born: Pennington, Hampshire, England Civil parish: Brighton County/Island: Sussex Country: England Registration district: Brighton Sub-registration district: Kemp Town ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 134 Household Members: Name Age Florence M Hodder 2 George Hodder 27 George Hodder 3 months Rachael Hodder 31 .................................................................... Rachel's death ?? Deaths Jun 1872 HODDER Rachel ..31 .. Brighton, 2b 106 Gwyn

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯)

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯) Report 23 Jun 2007 22:31

Thank you so much Gwyn for your time and help. Now even more doors to unlock :-) Thanks to all who took time out to help me. Jean