Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help me find these sisters ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 23 Jun 2007 16:54

In the 1891 census for Seaham, Co Durham there are Robert and Susannah Hoare Susannah Hoare (nee Dawson) was born 1856, Fatfield, Co Durham and she has her sister Esther Dawson born 1878, Seaham, Co Durham staying with her. I know that Esther and Susannah's father was called John Dawson and he was born in 1826 in Earsdon, Northumberland but I can't find Susannah or her father in the 1861 and 1871 census and there's no sign of Esther in the 1881 census. Can anyone help?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jun 2007 17:06

When did Susannah marry Robert? Was it pre-1881 census? Reg

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 23 Jun 2007 17:13

I believe that Susannah married Robert in 1879 and in 1881 they are in Murton, Co Durham.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jun 2007 17:26

Looks like they married very young............ Susan Dawson 1872 Jul-Aug-Sep Easington Durham Robert Hoar 1872 Jul-Aug-Sep Easington Durham Reg

Penny

Penny Report 23 Jun 2007 17:26

esther couldnt be her illig daughter, could she?Rather than her sister

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Jun 2007 17:49

1871 I think the image is Dawson - could be wrong Name: Susannah Danison Age: 16 Estimated birth year: abt 1855 Relation: Servant Gender: Female Where born: Harwood, Durham, England Civil parish: Middleton County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Teesdale Sub-registration district: Middleton ED, institution, or vessel: 12 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 41 Household Members: Name Age Susannah Danison 16 Ruth Robinson 64 Thomas Robinson 14

K

K Report 23 Jun 2007 17:50

This is the only Esther I could find that maybe fits and I cannot find the family in 1861 with the same surname or the father so would think the surname misinterpreted! Maybe worth a look? 1871 Name: Esther Dansey Age: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1877 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Jane Gender: Female Where born: Seaham, Durham, England Civil parish: Dawdon County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: 3 Back Cross St Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Scholar Registration district: Easington Sub-registration district: Easington ED, institution, or vessel: 12a Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Esther Dansey 4 Jane Dansey 67 b Northumberland John Dansey 57 Collier b Holliwell??Hallinell? William Dansey 15 b Southmoor

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 23 Jun 2007 17:52

Thanks for the suggestion. It did cross my mind that Esther may be the daughter of Susannah. On Esther's marriage record from durhamrecordsonline it said that she was the daughter of John Steel (deceased) but this might have simply been to save face. If I could find Esther's birth registration then I could send for her birth certificate and that would prove her parentage. Even so, she has to be somewhere in the 1881 census as she's only 3 years old. But then again - I've never in four years been able to find my great grandmother and her two illegitimate children in the 1881 census either. I gave up on that one a long time ago and resigned myself to the fact that they didn't take part in it.

Penny

Penny Report 23 Jun 2007 19:35

1881 possibly Name: Esther Dansey Age: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1877 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John Mother's name: Jane Gender: Female Where born: Seaham, Durham, England Civil parish: Dawdon County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: 3 Back Cross St Occupation: Scholar Registration district: Easington Sub-registration district: Easington ED, institution, or vessel: 12a Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Esther Dansey 4 Jane Dansey 67 John Dansey 57 William Dansey 15 what was dads occ on Susannahs marriage cert? This john is a coal miner