Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No parents name on marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 22 Jun 2007 03:31

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why on my Great Grandfathers marriage certificate it does not have his parents name, He came to Australia in 1862 from Ireland and married and Australian lady, when I got their marriage certificate it only has on it that he came from County Clare, no parent's name, I can not find any information on him at all... I was hopeing someone may be able to help me.. Thanks Roz :-)

Sue from Perth Oz

Sue from Perth Oz Report 22 Jun 2007 04:58

Hi I have a marriage cert from Broken Hill for my Gt Grandparents and neither of the parents names are on the cert.Makes life difficult they should have been more thoughtful for future generations searching.lol Sue

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 22 Jun 2007 05:20

Have you tried getting his death certificate? If they're not there either, the only other thing I can think of is to try and find him on a passenger list. If you're lucky, the list will have his parents' names on it, but you have to buy the list - the details won't be on the online lists. The NSW State Records passenger lists that I've obtained had the parents' names on.

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 22 Jun 2007 06:52

Hi Mary, Thanks for that, I have his death cert and it has no names on it either, Could you be able to tell me where I can view passenger records online and how do I go about buying them.. Thanks Heaps Roz :-)

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 22 Jun 2007 06:55

Hi Sue, It sure is a pain not having their names on it, maybe it was because they got married out in the bush, Mine married out at Batlow, and I think someone told me an official use to come around once every few months to record births, deaths and marriages, so who knows hey.. Thanks for your reply Roz :-)

Georgina

Georgina Report 22 Jun 2007 11:17

Roz have you thought that maybe they were orphans who were shipped to Australia for a so called better life, maybe they didn't know their parents names? Georgina.

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 22 Jun 2007 11:25

Hi Georgina. Well I did wonder that myself but he was 26 when he came to Australia, So it's not like he was sent here, even though he probably did come here for a better life, I'd like to try and find out if he was orphan or not... Not sure how to go about it though Roz :-)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Jun 2007 13:22

Were there censuses in Ireland for the period before he went to Oz? I know very very little about Irish records but it might be worth following. I suppose it depends on how rare/common his surname is though ... fingers crossed there won't be too many with his name. Jill

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 22 Jun 2007 19:10

You can find NSW passenger lists here: http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/assisted_immigrants_1839-96_366.asp However, people who settled in NSW sometimes sailed to Victoria or Queensland and then travelled overland. You'll find other lists in the Passenger Lists thread on this board.

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 23 Jun 2007 05:23

Hi Jill, As far as I know there are no Irish Census for that period of time, I think the Irish are hard to find, Thanks for your help anyway Roz :-)

Rosalind

Rosalind Report 23 Jun 2007 05:27

Hi Mary, Thanks for that I will check it out and see what I come up with, Martin seems to be a bit of a hard chap to find Thank you for your help Roz :-)